Spain Expat Q&A: Is it time for work or time for play?
21 02 2008
For every expat who didn’t get what they wanted from the Three Kings this year, we’ve compiled some useful apartment hunting tips, the skinny on Spanish weather, and a list of things every expat in Spain should know.
Summer reading from Spain Expat
08 08 2007
We’ve brought you some cool new Spain Expat just in time for the summer heat. So before you head out to the beach, go on and check out some of the latest articles:
- Sports in Spain Just in time for Operación Bikini!
- Make a Living in Spain It can be done. Find out how.
- Top 7 Signs You’ve Integrated in Spain Take the quiz.
- Sworn Translations in Spain
- Freelancer’s Working Visa in Spain For journalists.
- Fiestas in Spain Find out where the parties are.
- The Vegetarian’s Survival Guide to Spain
- Castellano vs. Español What’s the difference? Find out.
Here are this summer’s Spain Forum highlights:
- In the Living in Spain section, Sammie wanted to know the best places to live in Barcelona.
- In the legal section, lowdandcleer asked about health coverage in Spain and Artisan and ROBI keep us up to date on NIE changes.
- In the tapas bar, virginiav asked how other Americans living in Spain feel given current politics.
As always, if you’re living in Spain and think you have some great info to contribute to the community, go sign up, then check out the Forum and help out. If you think we’ve helped you, then please consider making a donation to Spain Expat.
Updates - Springing into the Expat Community
04 05 2007
Reviewing the happenings at Spain Expat in the last month, here are the highlights to get you involved.
In the Spain Forum, here are some of the important discussions in each category:
- In our legal section, owen0706 asked about alternatives for getting around the visa requirements to stay in Spain for a year.
- In the financial section, scottb asked about the cost of living in Barcelona.
- In Lifestyle, lots of talk about Gardening in Spain.
- In the Living in Spain section there’s lively talk of the best towns on the Costa Blanca for expats.
- Joanneari asked about switching licence plates in the Moving to Spain section.
- More talk about rural ADSL and speeding it up in the Technology section.
Dreamer, one of our fine contributors to our fine site, recently added her Spanish Recipes article, covering tapas and cuisine basics for the newbies. También we have her new list of emergency phone numbers, an essential list you should print out for the fridge door (feel free to add your own local ones). Algrif posted Part II of his comprehensive guide to Property Owners Communities in Spain - the nitty gritty part.
As always, if you’re living in Spain and think you have some great info to contribute to the community, go sign up, then check out the Forum and help out. If you think we’ve helped you out then please consider making a donation to Spain Expat.
Happy New Stuff
02 03 2007
Welcome to 2007! Oh wait, it’s a bit late for that. Nevermind…
Spain Expat has seen some great things happen around the site in the last few months. We have close to 2000 Spain Expat members, with about a hundred of them posting semi-regularly on the Spain Forum.
- TJourneyman wanted to know about marijuana in Spain
- Jil had their visa applications rejected
- DannyK enlighted all of us with their info-packed fact finding trip post
- Lots of questions about meeting the needs of families with special needs, special medications and diabetes
- New technologies for accessing the Internet without dealing with Telefonica including WiMax in some parts of Spain
- Gemega is looking for English monitors for teaching English at summer camps
ROBI has attained the status of Expatriator, while CB Web Solutions and Las Veletas round out the top three Forum posters of the last couple months. We should all thank them for their helpful information.
Even cooler is that we’ve posted a few new articles from new contributors to the site. Go empadronarse says Dreamer. Algrif explains the reality of buying into a Community of Property Owners in Spain. The Expatriator recently updated the Moving to Spain Checklist and released the “the most exhaustive list of job sites in Spain on the entire Internet”... he “shits you not”.
That’s all for now. Don’t forget that if you’re living in Spain and think you have some great info to contribute to the community, go check out the Forum and help out. If you think we’ve helped you out then please consider making a donation to Spain Expat.
Donations & the Forum
15 11 2006
I’d like to inform Spain Expat members and non-members that we’ve decided to try to reduce our dependence on advertisements by creating a donate to SpainExpat.com page. Recently we’ve received a number of advertising requests that I’ve had to deny (for a number of reasons); the time and focus I’ve spent dealing with these requests is taking away from other efforts on the site here. Keeping the forum clean of SPAM requires more time than you can imagine and frankly I’m sick of reading through “partnership requests” from swindeling one man operations based in India (no offense to the wonderful country and people of India of course). So please, show that you care by helping us keep a good honest information site instead of a peg board for advertisers. Make your donation to SpainExpat.com, any amount is appreciated.
On the Spain Forum side of things, we’ve seen the number of posts go up dramatically in the last month with Techman, ROBI and Jane H being the top forum responders in that time (if you haven’t noticed, we’ll post the top three members by topic posts and responses here each month). Hot topics have included Renewing a Residencia and How to Meet People.
That’s it for now.