< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4
Cost of living in Barcelona
Posted: 16 July 2009 02:31 AM   [ # 31 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

HCL is an Indian IT Outsourcing company… That went to the wall in The US had some big contracts etc….
Since The President of the US is trying to bring the jobs back to the US there making amendments to the Laws. to make all jobs outsourced to India etc to come back home to have more tax incentives etc

ANYWAY… Alot of HCL US employees (Mostly Indian Citizens) have been offered jobs in Spain or Europe… (Never Works though as there benched most of the time or sent home..) as there is no work in EU..

hope it clears that up.. sorry for the long wind explanation..

MAc

Posted: 16 July 2009 02:51 AM   [ # 32 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12

the questions just fit the profile as the people moving from HCL get fed BS… ....
Hence my question to him/her…

😊

Posted: 16 July 2009 11:58 PM   [ # 33 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

Another thing I thought of since my last post is that it seems the cost of living in Barcelona is about on par with many major American cities like Chicago, Boston, or Maimi.  It actually seems less expensive than New York or San Fransisco based on everything I’ve read.

And, Santi, I agree.  I am all about research and planning. I think if you’re young it’s easy to get up and go, the worst that can happen is that you’re back where you started—with nothing. But if you’ve got a family and are used to a certain income it can be a tougher decision.  For me, I’m pretty young, but I own a house and have a good job.  But I don’t have kids and, personally, I’m willing to take a chance. I don’t think it’s much different than moving to a different part of the U.S., there’s just more red tape to deal with.

Posted: 17 July 2009 12:01 AM   [ # 34 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-12
sally2 - 16 July 2009 11:58 PM

I don’t think it’s much different than moving to a different part of the U.S., there’s just more red tape to deal with.

Lots of Red Tape…. Lots and Lots Of red tape….

Anyway Yeap I think all in all its what you make it weather win or lose you tried…

I would say lots of people move from Barcelona and travel into barca like I did when working there… Its a case of finding your feet until you settle…

Its always expensive the setup of home job etc….

Mac

Posted: 17 July 2009 01:31 PM   [ # 35 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23
sally2 - 16 July 2009 11:58 PM

And, Santi, I agree. I am all about research and planning.

It can be important and easy to miss something you had not realised.

From what i`ve read Brits tend to make the most mistakes, they don`t learn the lingo, still !!!!!!! and they assume that Spain is similar to the UK.

Its only due to the Spanish that there tolerated or rather taken advantage of.

I think if you’re young it’s easy to get up and go, the worst that can happen is that you’re back where you started—with nothing.

The biggest mistake in life one can make is too be born, grow up, live and die in the same place.

Life is about experience, whilst Spain for me was not a great experience, my Spanish OH keeps tellin me she told me so before we moved, my biggest regret would have been not to go.

But if you’ve got a family and are used to a certain income it can be a tougher decision.

For us we learn`t that children can gain great experience, ours spoke the lingo before we left and had been travelling to there grandparents since they were 4 months, so for them to learn Spain in Spain was great.

But it does affect there schooling, my daughter now has learn`t that next year she is in special needs class as her phonetics are really bad, spelling is horrendous, she speaks and writes perfect Spanish, speaks and reads perfect English, but when she writes English she is using Spanish sounds to spell, so the words are bad.

So now she has too cope with the issue of schooling, my main concern being if her education suffers until the end, that would really put a mark on the experience knowing her adult life could be affected, she wants to be a vet so bad.

If we were both English i wouldn`t have moved to Spain, for sure, its way too hard and I`ve met many many many Brits returning to the UK, the longest Expat I`ve met in Spain workin was 8 yrs, there are a few writers, painters and B&B;owners who have been longer, but mostly people return.

I don’t think it’s much different than moving to a different part of the U.S., there’s just more red tape to deal with.

My OH compares Spain too Mexico.

Certainly the South of Spain is very closly related.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 25 July 2009 01:55 AM   [ # 36 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-07-24
jurdyr - 14 April 2009 05:02 PM

biggest problem for most is there no net ..... now adays you need the inter net
jurdy

you mean there is no wireless provider like in most big cities ... you plug in a little thing into laptop and catch the signal any place for some 30e/month. nothing like that?

Posted: 25 July 2009 03:11 PM   [ # 37 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23

WI FI via a dongle is widespread in most towns and cities accross Spain and is free.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 26 July 2009 01:19 AM   [ # 38 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

jurdy was talking about OUTSIDE the city, not in Barcelona itself. He was responding to someone else’s recommendation that the original poster live outside the city because it’s much cheaper.

Posted: 27 July 2009 04:56 PM   [ # 39 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-04-21

WI FI via a dongle is widespread in most towns and cities accross Spain and is free.

where exactly? I want cities, streets, location LOL
joke aside there are only a few places in Barcelona where you can find a WFI - outside of Barcelona even less
I guess sitting in front of a pc at home is somehow interfering with the spanish way of live (and I really mean this in a positive way)
“hacking” into a wireless network is almost impossible since most are secured….

BUT..there is the new 3G which should be good enough for accessing websites and do some basic uploading go for telefonica they have the best net

@expatriator - your post make me smile looks like you didnt enjoy your stay that much…

Signature 

Spanish Schools in Barcelona

Posted: 27 July 2009 05:01 PM   [ # 40 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
Barcelona12 - 27 July 2009 04:56 PM

where exactly? I want cities, streets, location LOL
joke aside there are only a few places in Barcelona where you can find a WFI - outside of Barcelona even less

Try this index of 94 locations around Spain with free wifi access.

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/intl/2000011/

This has around 100 in Barcelona itself and around a thousand around Spain.

http://www.wi-fihotspotsdirectory.com/index.php?name=hotspots&req=search&query=barcelona&min=0&orderby=titleA&show=10

Signature 

< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4