1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4
Where do I look?
Posted: 15 May 2010 07:01 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-05-15

I am new to the forum, and am planning on moving to Spain from Australia in 6 - 8 months time. trying to get information on where would be the best place to look for me - a retired female. Do not speak a lot of Spanish,  can understand much more than I can speak..I would like to be in a predominantly english speaking area, with a community of expats (from UK) in a safe area and near the coast with a sea view. Can’t be right on the beach obviously, for my budget would only stretch to about 210000 Euros,  and I would prefer a villa but I would like a distant view at least. Can such a property in your opinion be found, and where would be the best place on the coast to look?? Are there any communities for expat retirees especially? My main worry is getting something that perhaps would have lots of noisy rentals next door…It also needs to be near facilities and social life. Also I have considered renting for 6 months to give me time to look around - think that would be practical. Any tips or ideas from forum members??

Posted: 19 May 2010 04:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

Hi Woody,

Good luck with your move, and I would definitely advise renting at first, ideally 12 months not 6 as you don’t know about those noisy holiday lets till you’ve been through a whole season.  Speaking of moving a moderator could shift this thread to intros where you’d get more response,

hope it all goes well,

BDP x

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 20 May 2010 12:39 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Thanks for the advice! Does anyone know if they have"retirement lifestyle” places - especially for those - well over 55 they are here - .. You’ wouldn’t get the noisy lets there would you? And you would have like minded people around you, with facilities nearby..Think I’m definitely looking more at Costa del Sol now than Alicante area. There are literally thousands of places for sale. One thing strikes me - why the mosquito nets? Are they a big problem? never noticed it way back in time in the 80’s…My partner’s more worried about why they have bars on the windows, but I’m trying to convince him its the spanish style, LOL! The lets seem to be pretty expensive - compared to here anyway - and to rent a place for a year would be eating on your capital, still I suppose if you bought the wrong place it would be a worse business decision seeing as everything seems to be taking a long time to sell over there? I’d hate to buy a lovely spot with my whole life savings, then wake up one morning with a bunch of drunk yobbos next door. They must make life miserable for many people… I love the Nerja and Torrox area especially but I guess that would be the worst places to be in for the peace and quiet…Also - will our TV and computer work over there? Can you get Foxtel pay TV? Anyone play lawn bowls - is it popular there?

Posted: 20 May 2010 12:41 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Oh - how do I get the moderator to move the thread to introductions? Thank you.

Posted: 29 May 2010 01:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2009-09-03

Woody - good luck with your move.  Rent for 6 months greta idea.  My part of the world is Manilva and surrounds which might suit you - quite quiet, mixed English/Spanish community and cheap property (both to rent and buy).  Property is cheap because they built too much of it and there are lots of empty places, so maybe not such a great investment.  Mossies a problem but not so bad.  Bars on windows - you’d feel better with them, you do hear of a fair bit of property crime but I think you’re OK if you take precautions.

Signature 

Advoco Accountancy & Law Spanish Income Tax Rates, Allowances and Declaration Thresholds 2010

Posted: 29 May 2010 01:18 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23
woody2 - 20 May 2010 12:39 PM

One thing strikes me - why the mosquito nets? Are they a big problem? never noticed it way back in time in the 80’s…

Depends on your blood, I never got bit, but my children did.We never had nets though, we used the usual sprays and a repelaint plug into the bedroom socket.

My partner’s more worried about why they have bars on the windows, but I’m trying to convince him its the Spanish style, LOL!

Used to keep crime out whilst leaving windows open, although now cordless angle grinders are available they still can get entry.Our apt on the 3rd floor never had bars, but the flats on 1 and 2 did, always concerned me if a fire occurred how do you get out or the firemen in.

The lets seem to be pretty expensive - compared to here anyway - and to rent a place for a year would be eating on your capital, still I suppose if you bought the wrong place it would be a worse business decision seeing as everything seems to be taking a long time to sell over there? I’d hate to buy a lovely spot with my whole life savings, then wake up one morning with a bunch of drunk yobbos next door.

Its best to rent and look for a place, there is too many places available to no straight away, you’ll then be able to judge.Most holiday rentals for young people tend to be in the same area’s, you don’t tend to find them mixed, most of the golf resort complexes have an older client with less issues concerning yobs etc, having said that even men on golfing holidays can get a little carried away, but in general you should find these places more peaceful, especially in winter months.

I love the Nerja and Torrox area especially but I guess that would be the worst places to be in for the peace and quiet..

Actually no there still great places, especially when compared to the Costa Del Sol, on the other side of the CDS you have Estepona and Sotogrande, their still very Spanish and not as popular as the CDS.

You couldn’t pay me to live in the CDS now, once was enough, unless you like council estates, binge drinkers and holidays in Blackpool.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 29 May 2010 02:51 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Sounds like a lot of healthy advice here!! I’ve obviosly got the fave blood type for mosquitos then…
MMm bars on windows now are not even safe, after the advent of cordless angle grinders..And yes - I worried a bit about how one got out if there was a fire..So short answer is, out the door if you can - and if not - have a cordless angle grinder handy, LOL! Its a real worry anywhere you go these days that you have to consider your safety..10 years ago here you could leave your keys in the car and your door open - not so now!! We have a house with safety screens on the doors and the front windows, and what did they do? Go round the back, smash the window and walk straight in..And one isn’t allowed to pull a gun on them - thats the real worry!! I don’t mean shoot at them just scare them - but you can’t even do that with an unloaded gun!!
Been looking at Cuidad Chesada and Villamartin, surely they would be reasonably safe for a single lady pensioner?? Inside a locked area?? Or are the people who work within not to be trusted either??? Fully intend to learn spanish, but I would like to be around likeminded people just the same and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable without them while I am still learning!
Is it true that Costa Blanca has less crime than CDS? Any other nice spots where expats congregate?

Posted: 29 May 2010 02:53 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Will have a look at the Manilva area - whenI find out where it is!!

Posted: 26 June 2010 05:56 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

have sold the house here now, and will be looking to move over end of august! Yippee! now looking at Calpe, Moraira and even the Calida coast - Arboleas where there seems to be lots of brits - but I’m told although very nice, its out in the sticks and prone to flooding!! Dont know whether there is any truth in it…
Also Mazarron and Villamartin. Looking for a station wagon with automatic gear..seems to be few and far between in Spain and gee - the second hand cars are expensive!!

Posted: 28 June 2010 09:02 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-06-28

Thanks for the advice! Does anyone know if they have"retirement lifestyle? places - especially for those - well over 55 they are here - .. You? wouldn?t get the noisy lets there would you? And you would have like minded people around you, with facilities nearby..Think I?m definitely looking more at Costa del Sol now than Alicante area . I think so . I’m glad to meet you

Posted: 28 June 2010 10:10 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Only one house on the market in Manilya at the moment as far as I can see, will keep looking though!

Posted: 28 June 2010 05:54 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi Woody2, Villamartin and Quesada are safe enough - I know lots of ‘senior’ ladies (from my writing group) With your budget you will be able to afford a house or if security is really as issue an apartment is often safer.

Yes 2nd hand cars may seem dear (but you have a good budget) so why not buy a new one then you have all the guarantees - lots of offers about at the moment with the crisis.

Renting might be a good idea if you want to really get to your your surroundings - maybe go for a rent with option to buy which are now very popular. Good Luck

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 29 June 2010 05:11 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

I thought that it looked a good spot, Rob! Thanks for that! What do you think of Camposol? Seems to be a lot of activities there for over 55s? So you have a writing group - thats interesting - where’s that at? I used to write short stories for the mags, but my painting has taken over..and i haven’t written anything for at least 10 years!! maybe i will have more time when I get to Spain! Interesting too that you think my budget is good - thats comforting..I thought I was rather on the “low” side to get everything i will need. I have a dog so just need an old station wagon to transport myself and him around in - but it has to be automatic and theres not a lot around! have a look at my website for fun - http://horseart4sale.webs.com  and you can see what I’m up to at the moment!
Another thing I’ve wondered about - do computers from Australia function in Spain seeing they are on 240v here and 220 is it in Spain? I know some things work and some don’t..I need to be in touch with Oz all the time more or less

Posted: 29 June 2010 05:01 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Camposol is in the Murcia region some 60-80kms south. There have been loads of illegal house problems and the build quality of much of the houses down there is poor. Where ever there are Brits there will be clubs/activities for the ‘tercera edad’ as most Expats are mature!

For my writing group see here
http://torreviejawriterscircle.blogspot.com/

and you would be welcome (and you would meet similar people)

I think the computer will work - but new ones here are cheap (and of course guaranteed)

Consider what you are shipping the costs may outweigh the benefits and if you rent it will probably be furnished.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 30 June 2010 07:01 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Thank you for the tip, Rob!! I also heard the same about Arboleas..Is Villamartin OK then? had a look at your site, and its very interesting! if I end up in your neck of the woods I will most definitely join and see if i can jog my pen a little!

Posted: 30 June 2010 04:54 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Villamartin is a golf area (3 courses in the vicinity) there is some bad stuff but generally OK. I still think renting maybe your best option to get the feel of the areas etc.

Yes you are welcome to come and meet TWC.

Thanks for comments about the site - yours looks interesting as well.

Just had a thought remember you can’t swop you Oz driving licence for a Spanish one - plenty of this site and others about this - might be worth looking here as well:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/

Signature 

Rob

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4