< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4
Where do I look?
Posted: 01 July 2010 05:40 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-05-15

Oh dear - don’t tell me I can’t drive on an International one for a while until I get a handle on it? Does one have to drive in the city - or can you take the test on a nice quiet back road, haha!!! I have an australian licence, so I suppose thats even worse!! Although there are more hoons here than I have met anywhere else in the world! They are shocking drivers! Everyone for himself is the general rule…
Villamartin might not be the place for em as I don’t play golf then - although you never know what I’ll try next I suppose..More into horse riding and breeding..
Mazarron is the same isn’t it - a golf area? Just that there seems to be a plethora of furnished houses there for sale at a reasonable price..I shall jus keep scanning Kyero!! Its a couple of months before I can think about buying one anyway, and I’ll be renting first to have a look around..I’ll have a look at that website now - but as I said it may not be relevant seeing as I have an Ozzie licence…

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:00 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-08-11

Since you asked about places for 55+ - there is a place in Santa Pola on Costa Blanca called Life Resort which is exactly that.
Found this by accident while looking for a normal hotel, I actually drove nearby and it’s in a very nice location, close to amenities etc…

Posted: 12 August 2010 05:27 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Thank you for the suggestion! I will “google’ it and see if it comes up! have found a similar place in La Sella, too which looks OK

Posted: 22 August 2010 01:27 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

had a look at Santa Pola and a couple of other over 55 places, and apart from being a lot more expensive than the norm, they all seemed very small - either apartments or small terraced houses with no garden. need a garden of some sort for the dog!! Any one live around Denia or Oliva? There are actually a lot of nice older townhouses in both places. I found by accident a beaut village house in a place called Iznate - really up my street with a bit of character and all, but I have no clue how the roads are and how difficult it might be to get there in the winter?? its up in the hills from malaga somewhere - perhaps someone knows of it?? I checked on Googlemaps and it takes 38 min to get to malaga - no mention of how fast you have to drive to do it in that time…. I’m more confused than ever now of where I want to be!!! I really need to get over there and start at one end, I think! maybe from Oliva right down to Malaga.. Wasn’t intending looking at C d S but I guess the villages in the hills wouldn’t be so bad….As I said previously - its a long time since I have been in Spain…1983 was the last time!!!

Posted: 23 August 2010 10:14 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-08-22

We live in Arboleas it is a lovely area :coolsmile:  :coolsmile: and yes there are a few problems but there are in most places in Spain it does just take a long time to get everything done especially when you buy a new property just being built but we usually get there in the end.
I have heard that Sell property in spain is a good sight to look at.
Hope you get sorted soon.

Posted: 24 August 2010 06:22 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

I like the sound of Arboleas - only would have preferred to be in the country, but able to see the sea from a distance!! And I’m a little concerned about getting to a hospital, with my angina scare I had a while back!! The property i am looking at on Kyero is still the nicest one I have seen - out in a hamlet outside Arboleas though..Found one in a place called Iznate too that I love, but its even further out..

Posted: 24 August 2010 11:49 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-08-22

There is a very good hospital only 20 Minutes away from Arboleas at Huecal-Overa and the sea is only half an hour by car. 😊

Posted: 24 August 2010 12:25 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

So a hamlet that is 5 min drive from Arboleas and 2 min drive to a sort of village shop (and a bar!) in another hamlet would not be all that isolated - just worried about when the day comes that I don’t drive any more…Suppose 2 min drive equates to about 15 min walk, depending on the terrain..can’t wait to get over there and see for myself!! As regarding where one wants to live, you feel it straight away or you don’t anyway!

Posted: 24 August 2010 06:06 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-08-22

I would think you are right it would equate to around 15 mins walking time.

Posted: 24 August 2010 06:09 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-08-22

I have seen riding stables around here too (can’t think where) but as I am 74yrs old it is not something that I am interested in these days but I used to ride so tend to notice horses.

Posted: 25 August 2010 04:28 AM   [ # 26 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Hope you’re not suggesting I get me a horse again, and ride to the shops, haha! Would have to be a pretty quiet one these days for me too - I’m 68 and gave up riding 5 years ago when I got thrown and broke my hip!! Still have 7 TBs though in part ownership with others - racing happily around the tracks, except for the 3 fillies who are only just 2!! 15 min in nice weather wouldn’t be so bad, but in extreme heat or in winter rain it wouldn’t be so cheerful would it? Down here they all drive around in Gofers like there’s no tomorrow - racing along the cycle tracks in the parks and having a grand time! I believe some of them get up to 60km an hour, LOL! Luckily there’s a 2km speed limit in the shopping malls!!
You never get rid of the horse bug, do you? Once they are in your heart you will always look when you see one. I am going to miss mine terribly - I’ve bred them all, and tended them since they dropped from mum….They are like my children.

Posted: 25 August 2010 01:24 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-08-22

If the property you are looking at is were I think it might be it is an almost flat walk to the pub and the little shop and we don’t often getting more than a couple of days of rain at a time even in the winter, if we do we all get really miserable as we have got so that we are happy to see one day OK to see two days but after that no.
This is still classed as a dessert area because it is such a dry area.
One of my friends lives in Australia in Warrilla near Wollongong, Sydney their family live all around them. They have been to see us and loved it here.
I know what you mean about when you see Foals born I have only ever seen it once and that was when I was 14 but that Foal meant the world to me (I worked in stables outside of school hours and the Mare trusted me she did not trust many people and the Vet was having problems, she was down on the floor so I sat with her head in my lap comforting her so that the Vet could get the Foal he thought he was going to lose both) I have never forgotten the experience. Gosh that was 60 years ago.
If you do come to live here we shall have to meet up as I think we would have a lot in common.

Posted: 26 August 2010 06:11 AM   [ # 28 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Hi again<
I will try and post the link to the property onto a PM to you - I don’t think it is where you think as its not on that flat area where all the new houses are on 400 - 600 sq m blocks. Its an old property, and from the photos it might be on a hill..
I’m just hoping it won’t be sold by the time I get there…And yes - it would be nice to meet a couple who live there already and know the ropes - and the area!

Posted: 18 September 2010 05:43 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

Thanks for that! Its difficult to make any decisions when I haven’t been in Spain for 20 years!! I have actually looked at a few on the net though in Denia, Oliva ,Moraira etc and although they all appeal to me they seem to be much higher priced in that area.
There are so many things to consider - like being on a bus route to the coastal town, for when I no longer drive, and near a hospital, vet, supermarket etc. And there’s the all important view!! I was wondering about Iznate and Torrox…What say the forum about them? The idea of living in a larger village up in the hills with a view to the coast appeals - but I don’t know of many, LOL!
Also being into horses and racing, I would have liked to be near somewhere “horsey” so I can have my ‘fix’. Are there any developments around Mijas racetrack for instance? I know its ths CdSol again but as far as I know the only other one is in Madrid..
and I wouldn’t like to be that far from the coast. If any of the forumites live in these areas I’d be glad to hear any info! Also what about Tormos near Gandia? Anyone live there?

Posted: 18 September 2010 12:53 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-15

yes, I have looked at Orba actually, and Alcalali - my only fear is that there are no expats at all, not being able to speak the language as yet - although i am trying hard to teach myself! However - I will no doubt be able to get a better idea once my place is sold and settled! been sold twice now and sales fallen through, and I’m getting a bit despondent!! Was hoping to be settled in Spain before Xmas! I will have a look at the Marina Alta area as you suggest!

< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4