Chip ?n? Pin credit cards in Spain
Posted: 06 July 2007 08:32 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-04

Why is it when using a Chip ?n? Pin credit card in all the supermarkets that I know, having correctly authenticated the purchase with the credit card pin, I have to show my ID card (which, soon I won?t have) and to add insult to injury I have to sign?  Is there a cultural problem here or am I missing the point.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2007 01:17 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

this happens with your credit card too though right? I’d imagine its the unfamiliarity with pin based systems in spain- they probably don’t realize its unnecessary yet.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 07 July 2007 10:48 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

Where I live, it?s disastrous.  There are still a large number of shops that just don?t accept payment via any type of card.  Those that do don?t understand how the ?dat?fono? works and don?t understand the significance of the PIN.  All this often makes for some frustrating, embarrassing moments especially when you?ve just dined for ?250 and the waitress comes back and tells you that your card has been rejected, when in reality it?s just telling her to insert the card in the slot that reads the chip.

Signature 

Posted: 31 July 2007 06:33 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-07-31

O so right!!!  I love Spain but why o why does their government not get their economy going for all???  The credit card thing is just one aspect.  I now only expect El Corte Ingles to accept cards. 

In my village over half my transactions are in the black economy.  And the authorities not only do nothing to stop it, they seem to go out of their way to encourage it.

Long live the Republic (I can say that, mi pueblo es Candas en Asturias)

Posted: 31 July 2007 06:58 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

Both local and central government are very happy with the way things are:

1)  They start work at 08:30
2)  They stop at 9:00 for breakfast
3)  They return at 11:00 and work until 13:00 when they stop for ?un cortado? and a smoke.
4)  They return at 13:30 to work through until 15:00 or 14:00 in the summer.
5)  And tomorrow they?re taking the day off ?un d?a de asuntos propios? just before the ?carnavales? and then they?re on holiday for a month.

Love live the ?funcionarios?.

Signature 

‹‹ Small Request      Wish You Were Here ITV ››