Residency
Posted: 20 May 2011 01:46 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-05-20

Hi,

I’m getting conflicting info on this.

My partner and I are planning on going to Spain. We’re both EU citizens and have our own internet business so really we’d be looking at having an extended working holiday. Maybe 6 months or so to check it out, get a feel for the place and if we like it, stay.

Thing is some sources I see say that you can stay 6 months before having to apply to be a resident, other places I see that’s only 3 months. Which is it?

Also, we’re arriving by car - what’s the story there?

I understand that some of this stuff’s covered in some of the articles on this site but some of that info is old and I’d rather get current information, especially as right now pretty much every European government’s on a serious over-regulation binge.

Posted: 20 May 2011 07:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Ok ‘the book’ says register for residency after 90 days. The 6 months or 183 days if for tax purposes. But if you really are only staying short term and not taking up long term residence and commiting to living here than don’t do either. Which may be against the sprit of the law but is what people do in this situation.

If you decide to stay then you do need to formalise all the admin things NIE, padron etc etc.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 22 May 2011 12:54 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-05-20

Ok, I think we’ll probably end up staying down there, it’s just good to know what one’s options are. 
Least I know now what timeline I have to get things sorted now.

As for bringing our car, what do I need to get sorted there? What’s the deal with going out of the country and back?
If I need to get the car registered and insured down there is that an enormous, expensive pain like in other countries or…?

Posted: 01 June 2011 09:02 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

You mean you want to “import” your car to Spain?

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2011 07:39 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-05-20

You mean you want to ?import? your car to Spain?

Well, possibly. I want to drive my car down there first, live there for a couple of months on an extended holiday and decide whether it’s for me or not.

If I then decide I want to stay and go through the residency process then presumably I’d have to get Spanish plates, tax, insurance, etc. I’m just curious about how long I can drive my car down there as a foreigner before I have to go through that procedure. 

Also when you use the word import I get scared. Will I also have to pay a big whopping sum to the taxman just to bring my car into the country?

Posted: 14 June 2011 05:08 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

You can check the website advices here: http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/importing_cars_bringing_your_car_to_spain/

Importing your car to Spain costs will depend on the type of car. When time comes, maybe the best choice is selling your old car in UK and buy a new or second-hand car in Spain. But anyway you’ll be able to have a RHD (right-hand drive) with spanish plates.

Signature