NIE number and Padron - work visa
Posted: 24 May 2013 09:05 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-11-19

I just wanted to post an update regarding prior information. I am trying to get a work permit for freelance work as an English Teacher. I went to Sevilla, rented an apartment, paid a few months in advance. Applied for and obtained my Padron. Opened a bank account. Applied for an NIE with form ex 15, stating a non-lucrative visa. Received my NIE certificate. Signed a contract with Orange for ADSL, so I would be able to do my on line lessons, for which I have a contract from a company in the states to teach their expats via Skype.

Lawbird told me via e-mail that I would not be able to get my NIE, without depositing lots of money in the bank.

My lawyer here in the states, stated oops, the non-lucrative is not the way. But there is a FREELANCER visa, which is not posted on the website for the consulate of spain, which is a ‘loophole’, further stating that a lawyer from Spain sent him a package of info. However, this info, now states that I need a business plan. I am not setting up my own company…...Can anyone shed any light on this PLEASE? My NIE is only good for 3 months. Thank you.

Posted: 24 May 2013 10:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Interesting. I’ve heard rumours of folks getting freelancer visas after setting themselves up as “autonomo” but these were only rumours and I’ve never been able to verify it. I do know someone who sponsored oneself by creating a new SL (limited company), for which he did indeed need a business plan (it was a legit business). Then there is a separate “freelancers visa” but that is really only for journalists.

You shouldn’t need any money deposited to get an NIE, but you might need a pile deposited for your business to register and be able to sponsor you in the case of an SL.

Did you end up getting the non-lucrative visa?

Sounds like you’re blazing an unconventional trail toward immigration… would love to get updates as you go!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 May 2013 11:54 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-11-19

Exactly, I thought proving that I am serious and contributing to the “economy” would be a plus. Secondly, getting my NIE prior to the applying to the consulate would shorten the time for a visa. As I walked out of the police station with NIE/certificate in hand, I thought to myself, one hurdle over! No, not going the non-lucrative way, as I stated, I haven’t got $70k. Still waiting for an appointment for the consulate to be scheduled and getting quite nervous about the time frame. The lawyer just e-mailed me and stated that the ‘business plan’ is just a letter setting my purpose, etc. So, that shouldn’t be difficult to draw up, plus, I have my credentials in order. Invoices, payment received, etc from this current contract/client. Guess, I have done things backwards, to move forward. I know there are many people in my situation that would like to do the same. Most of them younger and they go over on a student visa and then just figure it out that way. I shall keep you posted and the rest that come to this site for information. Thank you for your response.

Posted: 29 May 2013 05:47 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Great, looking forward to them!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.