Tobacco Outlet - Is it impossible?
Posted: 31 December 2013 08:19 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-31

Hi there,

I have been doing some research regarding opening a Tobacco Outlet within Spain.

I understand that Tobacco and Stamp Outlet Licences are granted by public tender processes published in the Official State Gazette (BOE) and called by the Sub-Secretary of the Ministry of the Treasury at the proposal of the Tobacco Market Commission.

I know that Outlet licences are for 25 years but surely there should be an exception to this process should a new town or region be build. 

I live on an extremely large urbanisation (I would estimate 20k homes) which also has two other large urbanisations. The nearest Tobacco Outlet is roughly 6-7 miles away, we have no schools on the urbanisations etc.

I was wondering if there is any other way to obtain a licence without waiting possibly 25 years for the next public tender processes?

Posted: 01 January 2014 11:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

As I understand it - no way. At one time licences were only granted to ex service (military) personnel or widows thereof, I think it is still a closed shop. (No pun intended) Although you say there are no shops there must be machines and also smoking is on the decline.

But keep researching - things change but I think this is a tough one to get into.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 02 January 2014 01:46 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-31

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I agree this seems a very difficult business to get into within Spain.

There are bars which sell them in vending machines but they simply but it from the Tobacco Outlets a few miles down the road.

I will just keep looking and fingers crossed something may come up!