Info about English schools in Barcelona
Posted: 19 July 2012 03:39 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-07-19

Hi

I’m looking for some information about English schools in Barcelona. I want to work as an English teacher while I’m staying there (over the next months). I’ve read some bad things about the way they treat you, contracts… so I want to be sure before applying to some offer.

Goodey

Posted: 20 July 2012 04:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-07-20

I lived near Barcelona during the last year and I worked as a teacher in a English academy called callan, which was located in via augusta street (quite close to the city center)

I started with almost no experience, and went into callan with an open mind.  It takes some practice in order to operate the Method effectively, and so the training is very useful.  I think all schools should provide at least a day or so of training actually, it makes sense doesn’t it?  I still remember the first student who I noticed making a lot of progress (especially with pronunciation) over the first three weeks I was teaching, which contrasted to my previous experience on a TESOL course and immediately afterwards, where much of the time no discernable change seemed to be taking place. The Method requires little preparation and most students respond to it very well, as they complain that many schools focus on grammar and writing, presumably because a lot of the English teaching ‘market’ is focussed around exams which require these skills more than speaking.

Hope it helps!

Posted: 28 July 2012 02:53 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-07-28

Hi, mikenr

I’ve seen a job ad for the callan school that you mention in your post, and I would like to know if you were trained before you were hired and how long the previous training is. I’ve been looking at the website of the callan school in London and they say that they run five-day training courses for people that they intend to employ and that success on the course is likely to result in an immediate job offer. Is it the same way in the school in Barcelona?

Thank-you in advance!

Posted: 25 January 2018 04:24 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2018-01-25

I don’t think people learn English Barcelona people have already known so many students online searching like education service getting a good result and save time.