Moving to Spain with a Criminal Record
Posted: 10 October 2014 11:43 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-10-10

I am thinking moving to Spain and want to apply for a Spanish residency, however I have a criminal record. Would I be able to apply for permanent residency?

Posted: 11 October 2014 12:47 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi
I cant say to be sure; I think it rather depends on the nature of the charges that were brougt against you and whether they stay on your record or are discharged. Though you may be reluctant to do so I think your best bet would be to talk to the UK Home Office.
In any case you must be able to prove you have sufficient income to survive out here and unless you are a pensioner you must be able to provide proof of Health Insurance. A UK issued EHIC card is not usable here for any purpose other tha for emergencies when on vacation outside of the UK
You will need to open a Spanish bank account for payment of utilities water and electricity.

You say permanent residency… There is no such thing these days; what you get these days is a Cerificate of Membership of the EU.

If you are here for more than 183 days per year you will be liable for Spanish Income on all your worlwide assets.

Be advised that if you need to work jobs are very difficult to get hold of; the Spanish jobless figures are in the region of 26% overall and 52% for the under 25s For just about any job out here you must be able to speak Spanish and hold a conversation in Spanish especially in relation to the job you are seeking.

There is very little in the way of Spanish State benefits availble to Spanish nationals, and much less to expats. Some UK state benefits are currently transferable but this subject is always under review.

Hope some of this helps

fb admin / moderator.

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 12 October 2014 10:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-10-10

Hi there,
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write to me….......very much appreciated.

Thank you so much.
Winifred2

Posted: 08 November 2017 07:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-11-08

This is a really serious matter and I hope you will be given an exhaustive answer on this site.

Posted: 20 March 2018 02:22 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2018-03-16

You can refuse this.