can you suggest Spanish language schools for expats
Posted: 10 April 2011 04:24 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-12-09

Ola! anyone who can suggest a spanish language school or short courses for expat like me, i live here in Vigo so hopefully school near vigo i need to learn spanish as soon as p?ssible. let me know if someone knows about my inquiry. thanks much

Posted: 11 April 2011 10:22 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-04-11

Hi traveler88, here is a very reputable and inexpensive language program, you can study from anywhere in the world via Skype. They offer individual lessons with great teachers and amazing customer service, highly recommended:
http://www.galau.com/

Good luck!

Posted: 11 April 2011 03:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

Hola,

Use the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Vigo they have a Espa?ol Para Extranjeros course, if you understand a little Spanish you can join up any time of year. The address is R?a Emilio Mart?nez Garrido, 17, Vigo.

Look at their website - this is the Espa?ol Para Extranjeros page:

http://www.eoidevigo.org/departamentos/espanol-para-estranxeiros

I used the EOI in La Coru?a, it was really cheap, there were students of all nationalities and the classes worked fine. some of my classmates are still friends now. As I remember classes were 2 hours a day during the official school year.

Posted: 12 April 2011 10:58 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-12-09
RiazorBlue - 11 April 2011 03:50 PM

Hola,

Use the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Vigo they have a Espa?ol Para Extranjeros course, if you understand a little Spanish you can join up any time of year. The address is R?a Emilio Mart?nez Garrido, 17, Vigo.

Look at their website - this is the Espa?ol Para Extranjeros page:

http://www.eoidevigo.org/departamentos/espanol-para-estranxeiros

I used the EOI in La Coru?a, it was really cheap, there were students of all nationalities and the classes worked fine. some of my classmates are still friends now. As I remember classes were 2 hours a day during the official school year.

hello i checked the website but seems the course will start on september too long for me to wait. can you suggest another school or short courses that will only last at least a month or 2 month i am very eager to learn spanish thanks

Posted: 13 April 2011 03:12 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-15

For Spanish, I believe that you can start anytime (if you have a little Spanish). Go along and ask, whist there perhaps you could offer exchange classes with the students learning english. You have to ask the secretaria permission to stick a notice up but generally is’t not a problem.

I don’t know personally any of the language schools in Vigo. Here in A Coru?a lots of the private language academies offer spanish for foreigners aswell as english for Spaniards. Don’t be put off by the fact that nothing will be in English in class - it works well just in Spanish.

Get youself a good spanish-english dictionary and I’d suggest a Spanish secondary school dictionary aswell. In the spanish part of the spanish-english, study the part on pronunciation, spanish is phonetic, so once you learn the basic sounds you speak as you read (unlike english). Practice reading, pronunciation and comprehension by buying a newspaper every day - El Faro de Vigo or La Voz de Galicia would be my recommendations.

When I arrived in Spain for the first time I arrived in March, without knowing anything in Spanish. I signed up in the EOI in April at the basic level - the course finished in June, but it was a start. I signed up for the same entry level course in September aswell, because I had missed the first 7 months of the course. In September, before the start of the EOI course, I signed myself up for a one week intensive total immersion course in Santander. This included four hours in the morning, four in the afternoon, lunch with the teacher in a restaurant in town and lodgings with a Spanish family. It was 10 years ago now, and wasn’t very cheap. I didn’t come away from that being able to speak Spanish, but my understanding was much much better: once I came back to A Coru?a I found that I could follow my Spanish friends’ conversations much more easily. I?m sure that this one week intensive course was worth doing, when I did it; I had studied somthing of the basics: SER & ESTAR, regular verb construction in present, perfect and future tense. Probably taking the intensive course before having these basics would have been a waste of money.

Good luck with it.

Posted: 17 April 2012 01:24 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-04-17

I spent three months in Alicante and went to the EOI there. I went in at advanced level (studied Spanish all through school and now at University) and I was a bit disappointed with what I got for the money. Class size was too big and as a result it felt rather too general and without any direction. I’m sure it differs though so you may really like it!

More recently I?ve been to Madrid where, I have to say, immersion was very easy. I did a “super intensive” course just for 2 weeks at a school there called AIL Madrid, and was very impressed.”

Good luck!

Posted: 19 April 2012 02:56 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-15

Hi M.Landsbury,  welcome to the forum. I think the thing is that the EOIs are aimed at ex-pats living here and therefore the level, and the content and purpose of the courses are different from an intensive course aimed at someone who wishes to study Spanish as a foreign language. For example, your criteria would not be to learn how to fill in a spanish tax return, but a level 5 EOI student may need to know this.  As you say, horses for courses. The EOI courses work well for people who live here but are quite bad for those who don’t and want to ‘perfect’ their Spanish.

Posted: 13 May 2013 11:37 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2013-05-13

I am currently in Salamanca in a school named Tia Tula. There is no better way to learn spanish than going to Spain! I learned spanish in school before and I understand it but i never got the opportunity to practice it by speaking to native spanish speakers. Whereas I have been here in Salamanca for one week, I already got a lot of opportunities to speak spanish, either with the staff of the school or with the other students or even with my flatmate. The city is great, there is a good atmosphere, especially at night, and the old buildings are really beautiful.
Concerning the school, i am really happy I choosed that one because the staff is really nice. The school is quite cheap and the classes are good and the school offer extracurricular activities (most of them are free). The school can also take care of your accomodation (shared falt or family), however old you are.
I love Salamanca and i really advice you to come and visit this city whether to study spanish or only to visit!

Posted: 07 August 2013 12:02 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-08-06

I’m headed for Barcelona soon to study (in English). Meanwhile I would like to work on my Spanish which is poor to say the least! Anyone know a good language school/programme in Barcelona for absolute beginners?

Thank you in advance,
Ellie

Posted: 13 August 2013 09:56 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2013-08-13

Hi guys !!!
I have read yours posts and I would like to tell you my experience in a language school in Salamanca.
If you are looking for a school where to study Tia Tula is the perfect choice !!! In fact it is near Plaza Mayor ( the main attraction of the city ).
In Tia Tula there are only native speakers, it is a mid-sized school, this means that it is easier to establish relationship with the others students and learning Spanish. There are a lot of courses : intensive courses, business, conversation… 
I must say that from the beginning I had a great time thanks to the family atmosphere. Both, the professors and the staff are friendly and kind!!!
Tia Tula also helps with the accommodation, for me it was very convenient since I had never been to Salamanca. You can choose between different types of accommodation (residence, family ...) but the one that I recommend (for my personal experience )is to share the flat with others international students, as it is a unique experience.
The school is well organized and if you have free time you can sign in to one of the many activities organized.
For all those who want to study in Spain I suggest Salamanca as it is a quiet, young and full of nightlife city, but mostly it is recognized as “ciudad del espanol”.

Valeria

Posted: 22 October 2014 07:29 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-10-22

I can highly recommend to study Spanish in Alicante. It is a very nice city on the coast. There are no dialects. I have studied in Elcano Spanish school. (http://www.escuela-elcano.com/) There are good teachers, the prices of the courses are very favorable. They also organize a lot of activities and trips and they can offer you accommodation in a shared flat or in a family.

Posted: 31 August 2018 08:25 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2018-08-31

I recommend you to study in Cantabria is a beautiful city and a lot of Spanish culture, a beautiful bay and a captivating town, I recommend you https://spanishcourse.co.uk/ is to learn and once and for all live the learning with the people of the city very friendly.