Online Shopping from Spain… who delivers?
Posted: 26 April 2013 05:04 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey all,
It’s come up several times recently that folks are wondering which online ecommerce retailers are able to ship to Spain (or even better, have operations within Spain). To that ends I wanted to reach out to all of you to ask for your input, whether brief or detailed, so we can put together a comprehensive article with recommendations for different types of products.

Here are a few from the UK:
? Marks & Spencers
? Dorothy Perkins
? Evans
? Laptops Direct
? Amazon UK

And from the US:
? Amazon - not electronics, software and various other exceptions
? Overstock.com - we heard bad things about receiving packages to Spain though

There must be a ton out there, so stick to the biggest and most important e-tailers please.

We’d love to hear about:
? What online retailers are out there?
? Which of them have you used personally or heard first-hand reports about?
? What’s the difference or advantage of ordering from their UK vs US vs Spain portal?
? What’s the shipping premiums paid?
? What are the shipping options normally like?
? What are the restrictions typically encountered (I’m thinking of an Amazon shipping policy vs an Amazon partner’s shipping policy)?
? Any tips and tricks for more success ordering online.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 26 April 2013 01:38 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I have been buying online regularly for around 5 years. I have bought clothes, shoes, music, a GPS, 2 cameras, but mostly secondhand books. I usually look at Amazon UK which sets, for me, the benchmark price. Then I search around and see if there is a better deal. The P&P can be an issue as some sites seem to charge a lot and sometimes for 1 item there is not a saving as against buying in a shop. But of course being a Brit expat in Spain I sometimes want things unavailable in Spain - especially books (yes I read in English) Amazon charge a flat 4 pounds for any book - so if it is a thin book I guess they win out. Of course most of my Amazon deals are with their traders and not direct with Amazon. I also buy books from Awesome, Alibris, play.com,(thier prices include P&P so no surprises at checkout) world of books..

I find the process simple (very easy with Amazon once your account is setup) My stuff always arrives (OK I live in a town with good postal service this is sometimes not the case ‘out in the sticks’ in Spain) and I have never had any problems with quality/breakages etc etc. Last week a package from Amazon came via MRW delivery services.

Also the buyer reviews can be useful - you don’t get that in a shop! OK once a book did not arrive and I emailed them and they sent another and said if the first one arrives keep it (it did, felt guilty!)

I have never been scammed - just sometimes the books are in small print and I would probably have left them on a book shop shelf.

All in all I find the online shopping option a very good one - good prices, saves time and all the hassle of going to the shops. But OK sometimes it is fun to go shopping and I still do.

It does occur to me that buying online could be a killer for shops creating empty commercial space (a lot of which is owned by pension companies as investments, Uk anyway) and of course job losses. But online must also create jobs especially in the logistics industry.

So what do others think?

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 04 May 2013 04:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-11

We do a fair bit of on-line shopping (ok,mostly me!) and have used the following companies without any problems:

Amazon.es (I look books up on the uk site first to get reviews, check prices etc). Funnily enough, a couple of times the prices were less in euros!

The Book Depository

Wallis

Lands End

Zipvit

Plus my friend uses John Lewis.

M&S Espa?a

Signature 

Sue Walker

http://www.spainuncovered.com

http://over60andoverhere.blogspot.com.es/

Posted: 11 May 2013 05:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2013-05-11

I’ve just discovered Argos in Spain!  The URL is:-

http://www.argosonline.es/wcsstore/argosspain/index.html

Many UK products and much cheaper than IKEA etc.  (I’m going to order from them when I go to Spain next week, so can’t give any actual reports as yet.)

Posted: 23 May 2013 10:05 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Thanks Robi & Sue for the heads up on book shipping costs!
I had not thought to order books due to the high postal charges.

I use Amazon (UK) regularly for stuff. But always order over 25GBP to get their FREE delivery!
(But of course it has to be from them or one of their preferred suppliers, but usually the prices are competative.)

I have not had any deliveries since moving town, but hope that the local del co (Seur usually handle all for other carriers)... would call in advance. I ALWAYS put my phone no on the address label and ask them to call in advance.. so no excuse that I wasn’t home! (I.e it has been known the don’t come and expect you to go to their depot to collect!)

One can no longer by a Kindle to be shipped to Spain from Amazon UK - it directs you to the ES site.

On another forum a lady was having HUGE problems ordering from M&S UK for delivery here???  (Don’t know if the issue was resolved.)

I usually buy books that are hard to find on Abe.com, but have never tried to have them posted here. 

Eshopping is great as you get good prices and as Robi says, the reviews are usually very helpful.

(I usually order on line for delivery to my parents in UK and bring back in my bag. But only small items - but doing this less now since the hike in hold luggage charges!)

Posted: 24 May 2013 04:48 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-04-19

I have recently placed an order with Cotton traders and experienced a good service - postage cost ?6.95 and my order arrived within 3 days.

I have also bought from Amazon in the past and have no complaints.

Posted: 21 June 2013 08:41 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

The word is the free P&P deal wit Amazon UK has finished (Because they want us to use amazon.es ?)

Anyway I have been buying books from other sites as their P&P is cheaper - checkout World of Books and also Awesome books - Ok sometimes books are a bit dearer but bottom line cost is still cheaper than Amazon (sometimes)

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 23 February 2014 05:11 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-02-23

Yes amazon spain, prefer you choose amazon spain, however there is some products with better prices in other amazon, by example you can buy a kindly in amazon germany by 49 euros, while it cost 79 euros in spain

We provide services to international shoppers providing international addresses in Europe, USA and China, to allow purchase online.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2019 03:23 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2018-10-15

Luggage To Ship

any valid item you can ship from or to USA at a cheaper price. https://www.luggagetoship.com/shipping-luggage-internationally

Posted: 24 February 2019 05:24 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2019-02-24

thank you for links

‹‹ UK brands in Spain      Furniture Stores??? ››