< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 6
Wireless Internet For a Rural Community
Posted: 17 March 2008 06:17 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Satellite Broadband systems is not cheap when you take the set up cost off it and you need a dish , and some place have a ban on dishs . With in next few weeks i will have system that cost 200 - 250 euros once off cost to link to the net , have been testing it aroud the Alicante and Andalucia area . will know more in few days

But for once off cost and holiday makes can rent this aswell from 3 days,  works on laptops home pcs bussines computers
jurdy

need know more pm me here

Posted: 25 March 2008 06:58 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

Most rural areas are covered with iberbanda, a WiMax broadband solution that provides both internet as phone services. If you send me a pm with postcode or beter exact address of the place i’ll check if there’s coverage and help to contract services. As this service has symetrical speed, it’s excellent for people who need it for work, upload speed is as quick as download speed, and ideal for servers that need to deal information over internet.

Regards

Pieter Vos

Posted: 28 March 2008 04:28 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-04-16

Just read all your comments and if you can help me that would be good too!

We are moving in April ( 4 weeks) and will need the internet altough not for work but for pleasure so still need a good connection. Our house is in La Marina (urbanization Buena Vista) near Guardamar del segura ( Alicante)

I have asked my friend to contact Telefonica to book an appointment as I hear that they take ages to set them up, once done I am not sure what is the best in terms of Internet whether I should stay with them or not.

Any comments would be very welcome, especially if you have had experience on doing the same in this area ( install phone and getting internet)

Muchas Gracias!!

Mauricette Graham

Posted: 28 March 2008 08:33 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Hi Mauricette

I checked and currently there’s no Iberbanda service, i’ll check next week for updated coverage maps of that area.  For phoneline + dsl , pm with your exact address and i’ll check if distance between location and home is ok to put dsl.

Regards

Pieter

Posted: 28 March 2008 09:26 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-07-30

I do believe that there is no coverage for Iberbanda in that area.

However i know Buena Vista area well and there is WiFi broadband in the area.

I have lived in the area for 5 years.

Contact

http://www.broadbandspain.com

They offer a good service.

http://www.satcomms.info

offer broadband throughout Spain.

Signature 

Roger

http://www.uktelevision.info

Posted: 28 March 2008 09:37 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-04-16

Brilliant thanks for letting me know because I think i’ll die without Internet! I guess the most difficult is getting Telefonica to install a phone line, I was told by a neighbour that it’s extremly difficult in the unbanization to get one so we’ll see. At least I have a good spanish friend who is already on their case so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I’ll have a look at the website and once again thank you for your help!

Mauricette

Posted: 28 March 2008 09:51 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

In urbanisations the problem can be if they need to put pole. If the previous owner already had phone line then it’s normally easy and quick. Anyway PM with your data and monday i’ll try to check telefonica coverage.

Regards

Posted: 28 March 2008 11:33 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19
mauricettegraham - 28 March 2008 09:37 PM

Brilliant thanks for letting me know because I think i’ll die without Internet! I guess the most difficult is getting Telefonica to install a phone line, I was told by a neighbour that it’s extremly difficult in the unbanization to get one so we’ll see. At least I have a good spanish friend who is already on their case so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I’ll have a look at the website and once again thank you for your help!

Mauricette

well we all dead if we didnt have the net .........
Telefonica to install a phone line ......wait for it and wait and wait and !
wireless has it draw backs aswell .....
picking the single from the sky can cost lot off momey
roaming charges for you Mobile Phone is around 6.98 cent per Mb yes 6 euros and 98 cent
your down load be carefull just saw a guy bill for 1,400 euros for spain , he was 4 week in spain with out inter net and do most off his surfing via here phone (( o my f**king god )my phone bill would be 150 euros per month )  it wasnt work just surfing play games and so on , Real the guy to lazy to go to hotel that has free wifi and dose not like internet cafe as not safe

Posted: 29 March 2008 02:53 AM   [ # 24 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Another option you’ve got is check if there’s GSM 3G network, in this case you could get a 3G modem and get a “Tarifa plana” contract with movistar, 56?/Month no limits over GSM network.

Regards

Posted: 29 March 2008 07:11 AM   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

roaming charges are 6.98 per Mb watch out if your roaming jurdy

Posted: 30 March 2008 12:53 AM   [ # 26 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

That’s why to get a spanish SIM Card, get a prepaid one, or make a contract without any device asociated (Then you can cancel contract without having to pay penalty). With this you calls to UK or other countrys will be cheaper too, and in the case of movistar you can add the “Tarifa Juntos”, for an selected country calls will be even cheaper.

Posted: 30 March 2008 03:39 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-04-16

Thanks for your advices, I have contacted one of the website previously stated as they cover my area without having to get telefonica as I don’t think they cover where we are. I guess the options is to have a mobile phone + a wi fi wireless for the internet. I am waiting to see if they are going to contact me. In terms of mobile I think it’s best to get a pay as you go to start with and then get a contract later on if needeed!

I’ll keep an eye to your comments as you guys looks like you really know what’s going on out there!

Once again thank you for all your help!

Mauricette

Posted: 30 March 2008 04:08 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

real think only time i have to used my phone is when i out , and have no inter net , skype are google talk what i would uesd all the time

Posted: 31 March 2008 01:41 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

Hi Mauricette

If you get a SIM in spain, remember that you need a operator unlocked phone (Or a free phone that’s not bounded with any operator), otherwise the SIM wouldn’t work. The same applys if you use a usb 3g modem or a 3g pcmcia card. Perhaps another good option, but difficult to find is an offer from movistar called “Pack degustacion”, this includes usb modem with prepaid card for 200 mb.

Check if previous owner had phone line at your new home, and if you send me a private message i can check with telefonica internally how it’s over there.

Regards

Pieter Vos

Posted: 27 April 2008 06:42 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-04-16

ok we are now here and have taken a vodaphone mobile contract for both of us, plus the internet via vodaphone for 39 euros per months, it as been ok so far and the speed is good, never heard from the website i hva e contacted for the wifi internet in this area wich is a shame, i nedeed the web quickly so there.

hopefully all will be working ok for a while

mauricette

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 6