Council Tax?
Posted: 26 April 2008 06:47 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-01-04

Well, I made the move back in late march but am still figuring out a few things…...

Does Spain have the equivalent of the UK’s Council Tax? And TV Licence?

Damned if I can find a definitive answer!

Posted: 26 April 2008 01:07 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

HERE IS A DEFINITIVE ANSWER!

Spain does not have a TV licence - I understand when the TV aerial is purchased money does go to the Spanish TV channels - it is paid for by the ads!

But YES there is council tax called IBI - enquire at your local town hall or municipal tax office (SUMA in Alicante) do not go to Hacienda/AEAT because they do not deal with municipal taxes.

You do need to pay it because otherwise you will build up fines and interest abd you cannot sell the property without showing the latest payments and everything is up todate. (Unless you want to con your buyer and he falls for it)

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 28 April 2008 08:56 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-04

Wonderful, thank you very much!

Posted: 28 April 2008 05:49 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

The good news is it isn’t very much.  Agua y basura in my village is only about 50 euros a year, although it would be more if we lived there permanently and used a lot more water.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 April 2008 03:14 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes good point - IBI tax around here is only approx 150 euros per year for a typical house

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 06 June 2008 04:17 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-06-06

What does the IBI cover? Is it street lights etc?

Posted: 06 June 2008 05:23 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 06 June 2008 05:25 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Martcross - IBI does not cover water consumption - surely you have a meter and pay a water company?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 09 June 2008 07:32 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-06-09

Can you please tell me if you are still liable for this tax if you live in a caravan?  Many thanks

Posted: 09 June 2008 11:26 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

If the caravan is on a proper site the IBI due on the plot is probably included with your site rent (check with the owner) if you have it parked on your own plot you should be paying IBI on it.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 09 June 2008 12:59 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16
ROBI - 06 June 2008 05:25 PM

Martcross - IBI does not cover water consumption - surely you have a meter and pay a water company?

This is probably really ignorant but I don’t know whether what I pay is IBI or not.  It’s referred to as “agua y basura” round these parts, it’s administered by the ayuntamiento but paid to the diputacion of the province, by direct debit (domiciliacion) from my bank.  The two elements are broken down on the receipt and yes, our water is metered.  It’s buttons.  Anyway, you now have me worried that there’s another tax I’m not paying and that I’ll one day get slapped for arrears.  It’s hard when you’re only in Spain for a week or so at a time - if the ayuntamiento is closed or they tell you to come back later or something, you find you’re flying home before you’ve sorted anything out.  Any advice gratefully received.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 June 2008 04:40 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-06-02

Agua and basura sounds far more like the water charge than IBI.  Agua and basura is normally not paid to the ayuntamiento but to the provider and is paid every 3 months in my case.  It varies with each bill according to use.  IBI is paid direct to the ayuntamiento once per year and is a set rate according to the property value.  Some ayuntamientos send out IBI bills but apparently some dont.

Posted: 24 October 2008 06:37 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-10-24

We have been living here approx. 4 months and still in a learning curve.  We have been informed of the requirement to pay the local tax, based on our property value, by 31st December, or we will incur penalties.  We are also informed that we do not receive a bill for this and that it has to be paid by an accountant.  So, not only do we have to pay the annual rates, amount unknown, but we have to pay an accountant, at whatever that costs, to do it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 24 October 2008 07:03 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2008-09-06
stiltskin - 24 October 2008 06:37 PM

We have been living here approx. 4 months and still in a learning curve.  We have been informed of the requirement to pay the local tax, based on our property value, by 31st December, or we will incur penalties.  We are also informed that we do not receive a bill for this and that it has to be paid by an accountant.  So, not only do we have to pay the annual rates, amount unknown, but we have to pay an accountant, at whatever that costs, to do it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In which part of Spain do you live??

I live in Alicante and all local taxes are calculated by the City Council, which simply send a reminder in due time (and you can give a standing order to your bank with no charge for the service):

IBI Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles: the City Council charges this tax on the cost of the LAND where your house or flat has been built. Every year it increases ... but after 8 years I haven’t really managed to understand how they calculate it ...  😖

Basura This is a rather ‘new’ tax: I first paid it 4 years ago (it was one of the ‘presents’ Mr. Zapatero gave to Spanish citizens ...) The City Council makes you pay an annual tax for the recollection of rubbish (basura)

Agua I suppose it refers to the annual contribution for sewers maintenance. In Alicante it’s included once a year in the invoice of water.

Tasa de circulaci?n de vehiculos: annual tax on cars. It is only applied to cars with Spanish plates.

Posted: 24 October 2008 07:58 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-10-24

I live between Cartama and Coin and come under Cartama town hall.