HOW TO GET A SPANISH STUDENT VISA FROM INDIA PART 3
Posted: 03 August 2011 04:36 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-06-19

CONTINUED FROM PART 2

13. Proof of medical Insurance for the duration of your Spanish stay: My University had included medical insurance in its tuition and included written proof of the same in my acceptance letter. So I gave that in as proof.

However, this wasn?t good enough for the embassy, because they wanted a repatriation clause included in the insurance. This basically means that if you DIE in Spain, your insurance will cover sending you back to India (since clearly, if this wasn?t being paid for, your friends and relatives would be more than happy to let you float around in the European Union). How cheerful.

So Either write to your university well in advance asking them if they?ll cover this clause for an extra payment and send you proof of the same, OR purchase local insurance that clearly states that they cover repatriation of remains. Also, your minimum medical coverage has to be 30,000 Euros/ 44,000 Dollars/ 19,50,000 Rupees. It sounds like a lot, but I got 50,000 dollars worth of coverage, plus the very merry repatriation clause and a host of other benefits, in less than 8,000 Rupees, so it?s really worth it to just buy it.

14. A Medical certificate from a practicing doctor. I went for a general checkup and got the letter, signed by the doctor who wrote it and stamped by the hospital. There are only certain hospitals from which a medical certificate will be accepted (e.g. - Max, Gangaram, etc), so call the embassy beforehand and ask them what they?ll accept. Also, this certificate has to be less than a month old at the time of visa submission.

The certificate has to state that you?re physically and mentally fit, have no drug addictions, no communicable illnesses, have been vaccinated against possible diseases, and most importantly, are ?not suffering from any disease that can have repercussions any on the public health in accordance with the International Sanitary Act 2005.? THOSE VERY WORDS. Don?t mess around WITH THE ORDER OF THE WORDS, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY. SOMEONE thought she could say the SAME thing, rephrased, and that SOMEONE was sent back by the embassy, and had to go to the same doctor to get another certificate, which was not fun for SOMEONE. I won?t say who. Ok it was me.

15. A photocopy of the above, VERY SPECIFIC, medical certificate.

16. A legalized criminal record, more clearly, an Apostilled Police Clearance Certificate. This is probably the most long drawn out of all documents to acquire. Unless you actually do have a criminal record against yourself, in which case I?m sure you?ll employ familiar tactics to acquire a clean record in the blink of an eye/ shot of a gun. Two steps for those of you less fortunate:

I. The PCC itself: You can get a PCC from a police station in other situations, but for the Visa process you?ll have to get it from the regional passport office of where you?ve been living for the past 5 years/ where your passport is issued from. You need:

?  Your passport
?  A filled out ?application for miscellaneous services on Indian Passports? form with a photo stuck on it (http://passport.gov.in/cpv/miscell.pdf /  OR Form No. 2 from http://passport.gov.in/cpv/Forms.htm)
?  Proof of current address (in case the address on your passport is NOT your current address)
?  300 Rupees

1.  Now go to the passport office. Stand in the requisite line for hours. Years maybe.
2.  Hand in all the documents to the appropriate counters (if you?re confused just ask someone. There?s always someone who magically knows exactly what to do when, with clockwork precision).

After all that?s done, they?ll probably tell you to return either the same day after a few hours, or the next day. So walk around, enjoy the beautiful day. Unless its Delhi summer.

1.  Return to the passport office. Stand in the requisite line for hours. Years maybe.
2.  Get your PCC.
3.  Verify all the details on it, and get out of there.

II. The Apostille on the PCC:

1.  Go to the Ministry of External Affairs in Delhi with your PCC, between 9:00 AM? 12:00 PM.
2.  Get a postal slip from the requisite counter for Rs. 50.
3.  Hand in the PCC along with the postal slip.

They?ll tell you to return in a few hours/ the next day to pick up the apostilled PCC.

17. A Photocopy of both sides of the PCC

Apart from these, there may be a few random, documents which the embassy requires. A week after I submitted what I thought was the world?s most comprehensive application, the embassy decided it wanted more, previously unmentioned papers, and they wanted them within the next week or theyd ?consider my application scrapped?. Luckily I managed to get them together within that time and hand them in. The documents they wanted in my case were:

1.  Proof of payment of the tuition fee for my course (If you?ve paid only part of it and the rest can be paid at a later date, hand in the proof of the partial payment along with a letter stating that you?ve paid what was required and you?ll pay the remainder later)
2.  Income Tax returns for the last 3 years (filed by whoever is funding your stay)

They may decide to come up with more documents they require, like drawings of flowers you made in Class II, or proof that your dog is healthy, or top secret plans of an underground city financed by Ukraine, and if you can?t obtain THAT, then ask yourself, my friend?? Do you have what it takes to live in Spain?

I really hope all this information makes the visa process simpler, faster and more efficient for you. If you have any questions, ask away in the comments and I?ll answer the best I can. Best of luck!

Posted: 08 August 2011 09:44 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-08-08

My, what an ordeal! It was excruciating just reading about it, the humor notwithstanding.

Did you get your visa?

I am writing on behalf of my daughter (who is away from home with no access to the net) We are in a predicament.

She is a US citizen living in India and will be studying in Barcelona this fall. Her US passport allows a stay of 90 days without a visa whereas her course lasts for 100 days! We have tried contacting the Spanish consulate in Mumbai (which services the state where we live) but they are very slow in responding. Now seeing your account of the process, I feel there is absolutely no way she can get the long stay student visa before she leaves for the course (starts on September 9!). Just gathering all of the material will take a week at a minimum. It might be impossible to get some of the documents (the certificate from the Regional Passport Office for example since she is not even an Indian citizen).

I wonder if we should collect as much of the material listed by you and show up at the consulate in Mumbai and hope for the best. It will be expensive not to mention the fact that it will be a high-risk strategy.

Any thoughts?

Posted: 08 August 2011 10:36 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-06-19

Hello! yes, i did eventually get my visa, which is what prompted me to write this post for other hopefuls like me in the first place.

Ok, im not too sure of how EXACTLY this process would go for a US citizen, but its largely the same, so let me try.

Keep in mind, a visa for 90+ days getting rejected will not hinder her from going for at least 90 days, even if she cant stay beyond that. BUT, considering you have less than a month, and all the documents put together will take, like you said, a week at minimum, its definitely risky. it CAN be done, if you really rush, and press the embassy, but they tend not to appreciate that much. Not to mention, i thought my application was a hundred percent complete, but they required some more unheard of papers, delaying the entire process by 2 more weeks.

The most preferable, though not best, option would be to cut ten days from either the beginning or end of the course and go for exactly 90 days. its not ideal, but at this point, with time against you, it may be the only way.

i would suggest you try the Mumbai consulate once more, a little more persistently,  see if you can get information out of them about what your course of action should be. if they dont respond, weigh cutting ten days from the course with the already high risk rejection, not to mention the expense.

If you do decide to go ahead and apply anyway, then here are a couple of links which are USA university centric, but will enlist clearly the documents your daughter will need as a USA citizen.

http://www.consulate-spain-chicago.com/student.htm

http://international.fsu.edu/Students/Docs/Visas/2010/Spain/Fall/VA04, VS04, IN06, IN26 Visa Packet - Valencia.pdf

I hope this helps. let me know if you have any other doubts. best of luck!

Posted: 10 August 2011 06:36 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-08-08

Thanks a lot!

We are going to give it a shot. I know it is expensive to travel to Mumbai and there no certainity that my daughter will get her long stay visa but we figured it is worth the effort.

Good luck with your program in Spain!

Posted: 29 August 2011 02:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-08-08

Just wanted to give you an update. My daughter did get a 120-day stay “D” visa! The consulate in Mumbai turned this around in little over a week presumably because she had presented all the papers (thanks to your extensive list!).

Posted: 29 August 2011 03:15 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-06-19

Congratulations! I’m Very happy for both, your daughter and you. 😊 I’m sure Spain will be great, I’m looking forward to it greatly myself. I intend to travel a lot within Spain, so if she’d like some Indian company, she’s most welcome to get in touch with me at my ID.  I’m glad i could help in any way. Best of luck to her for her hundred days of Spain. 😊

Posted: 16 September 2011 02:28 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-09-16

Hello,

I found out about this incredible short term design program (only 4 months) in Madrid only at the beginning of this month, applied for it and to my good luck got accepted.

When researching about visas, I found your post and thanks to you, I managed to put together all the documents including PCC and medical certificate, financial documents etc in about a week.  Now to head to Mumbai to submit it.  My course begins on 22nd of september and I have already told my institute that I will be a week or 10 days late, and they have agreed to it. 

My question is how long does it take for Mumbai Consulate to process the visa? Does anyone here know? Any help will be appreciated.

Posted: 30 May 2012 10:16 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-30

Hi der… i’m really glad i found your posts! I was breaking my head over the visa process.
I’m in a very very :( state.

I have a few doubts…

1. Is der any exact format for the medical certificate? If so cud u pls be kind enuf to post tat also?
2. U didnt mention anything abt the legalization of degree certificates, i knw the embassy doesnt need that fr visa process, but doesnt ur university need tat? My university has asked fr tat.. and the process to obtain that is pretty tedious. can u pls post the exact procedure for tat?

ur clarification will be really helpful…pls do reply bfr i reach the :’( state.

Thanks in advance