4 months studying in Spain- what’s the best sim deal for texting mainly?
Posted: 17 August 2011 10:23 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-17

Off to Spain shortly to study and need to find the best deal sim-only to use while there in my iphone4 unlocked. PAYG sims cost c 30c/txt on Movistar which is bloody awful compared with UK texting at 12p. (Am aware of texting via Viber -the web-based method with other smartphone users) Can anyone suggest a cheaper route for a heavy texter?

Posted: 17 August 2011 11:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

PAYG is not cheap for calls Data and texts , if you got Vodafhone in uk get “passport asnd cost the same as uk texting in spain , here a thread with all the GSM companys in spain , why we dont put up there tarifes is thay change wek two week , http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/4115/

but here the list again
1   Movistar   GSM
2   Vodafone   GSM
3   Orange   GSM   France T?l?com
4   Yoigo     TeliaSonera
5   Simyo   GSM   KPN
6   Euskaltel     Euskaltel
and look here aswell

1   Movistar   GSM
UMTS, HSDPA   24.123 [80] (September 2010)    Telef?nica
2   Vodafone   GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+    16.745 [81] (Mar 2010)    Vodafone
3   Orange   GSM
UMTS, HSDPA   11.552 [82] (March 2010)    France T?l?com (81.6%)
4   Yoigo   UMTS, HSDPA (Roaming on Movistar where it’s network doesn’t reach)    2.283 (Dec 2010)[83]    TeliaSonera (76.6%)
Mobile Virtual Network Operators
5   Simyo (via Orange)    GSM
UMTS   not available   KPN
6   Euskaltel (via Vodafone)    GSM
UMTS   0.2 (December 2009)    Euskaltel
7   Lebara Mobile
(using Vodafone)    GSM   ...    Lebara Group
8   Digi.Mobil
(using Movistar)    GSM
UMTS   ...    RCS&RDS;
9   Pepephone
(using Vodafone)    GSM   0.1 (May 2010)    Globalia group
10   Carrefour Mobile
(using Orange)    GSM   N/A   Carrefour
11   BT Mobile
(using Vodafone)    GSM
UMTS   N/A   BT Group
12   ONO M?vil
(using Movistar)    GSM
UMTS   N/A   ONO (Spain)
13   m?bilR
(using Vodafone)    GSM
UMTS, HSDPA   0.08   R Cable y Telecomunicaciones
14   Telecor
(using Movistar)    GSM
UMTS   N/A   El Corte Ingl?s
15   M?Smovil
(Using Orange)    GSM
UMTS
HSDPA   N/A   M?s M?vil Telecom
16   TeleCable[84]
(using Vodafone)    GSM
UMTS, HSDPA   03.07   TeleCable

if your bill pay it cheapper then topup

Posted: 07 September 2011 01:31 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-07

From Andalucia-first post here—I have used SIMYO on PAYG for two years now text data and calls are cheap. .
Telefonica screwed my commsworld and finances up so I had their equipment taken out and after checking lots of Forums - gave Simyo a try. I rate it very good and as cheap as anything else within reason.
I use a zoom unlocked USB dongle ( ebuyer in the uk) and also have had occasion to take the sim out and put it in my unlocked blackberry for texting and phoning. Price- I go on the net every day whilst in spain ( Guadix/benalua)for 5 months per year and average cost is less than 20 Euro/month. The price /mb or txts is up front on the simyo.es website as is the coverage maps. I bought mine over the net with a spanish debit card - search other expat forums for pros & cons .
I monitor and top up online. Only prob I had was when I didnt top up for 6 months and got blocked until I used the local free Guadalinfo to get online & top up.
For tourist- Simyo are quite specific in saying that if you dont like them you can talk with your feet - and that includes their contract rates - leave anytme .
My chum in Gorafe has excellent Vodaphone (unlimited) on Contract at about 40 Euro/month- Simyo also do a good contract price.
For dongle newbies- I found all the dongles I have used in the UK and spain have had self- extracting software that worked perfectly - only prob I have had was when I unlocked a friends uk supplied three dongle to use with simyo and had to download generic software to run it.( forgotton what it was now). Hope I havent transgressed any forum protocols by including extra info under this specific topic.

Posted: 09 September 2011 05:56 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-09

My mum just signed up for service with 2020tel who provide messaging app on their phones with Unlimited messages as part of package for 14 Euros - but 18 month contract so dont know if will suit. She got HTC Wildfire Smarthphone for 49 euros i think it was which is pretty good

Posted: 25 September 2011 04:28 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I SMS from Skype cheaper than my orange phone….........(unless of course using free comp-comp Skype)

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 23 November 2011 05:51 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2009-03-18

hi. Weve been here 2 and half years and we kept a UK sim card as its a damn sight cheaper than a spanish mobile to text the UK with a UK mobile, even with roaming charges.

Posted: 01 December 2011 03:54 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-11-30

Lebara are usually one of the cheapest, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Also I swear by “Hits” which is part of a T.V/Internet/Phone Company, they are based in Moraira further north from Benidorm there website is:-

telitec.com WEBSITE EDITED DUE TWO RULES > JURDY
Hope this helps!

Sorry about the link, I am new here and in no way affiliated with the aforementioned company