gas and electricity in Spain(Madrid)
Posted: 29 May 2007 09:54 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2007-05-16

Hi all,

Hope you are all doing well in Spain.

I’m from Belgium and will work/live in Madrid starting on the first of july.

I asked my NIE today at the spanish embassy in Brussels and it will take approx. 8 to 10 weeks to receive it.

Now my question;-): Is it true that a Non-Spanish citizen can’t get a electricity account without that NIE number?

thanx in advance for your help.

Wendone

Posted: 29 May 2007 10:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I think you’re okay… you can always hit the Police station and pick up an NIE right away when you get there.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 May 2007 10:13 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-16

Hi T.E.

Do they give the NIE right away? They told me that it takes weeks to receive it and thats the reason I asked for a NIE through the embassy. to have it a couple of weeks earlier.

Posted: 29 May 2007 10:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

You get the number right away though, and that’s what you need.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 May 2007 11:18 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

It takes longer to get your NIE through the Embassy, as they will need to send forms through the post and wait for them to be returned by post, and your application will obviously take it’s place in the queue with all of their other business, so best to just apply in person at the Police Station nearest to where you live when you get there - they do give it to you immediately, but best to get there very early, as sometimes, they only deal with NIE and Residencia applications in the morning.

You should be able to get your electricity and water account setup for you initially be your sales or letting agent on the basis that you will let them have your NIE and Bank details when you have them, but they will probably need a payment up-front to cover the first month.

I’m surprised you have got as far as buying or renting somewhere without an NIE so far!

It’s worth asking them to do this for you, as you don’t want to be sitting in the dark and having to flush your loo with Perrier while they get round to connecting you 😊  Things like this sometimes take a long time in Spain, but sales and letting agents usually have a good relationship with the utility companies!

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 29 May 2007 11:20 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05
Trogg - 29 May 2007 11:18 PM

It’s worth asking them to do this for you, as you don’t want to be sitting in the dark and having to flush your loo with Perrier while they get round to connecting you 😊

Haha! Memories of Thailand! Aww. 😊

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2007 11:30 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-16

Hi Trogg,

thx for the help. I already hate the NIE issue:-) got so many different versions of it.

I hope that you guys are right and that they will give it right away.

Posted: 01 June 2007 06:13 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-05-20

Hi re NIE number, we bought in Murcia in January. We had to go to police station at four in the morning and wait in a long queue. But we got our NIE number that same day the queues are usually very long and they only process so many every day. So it is best to be there early and if you need your NIE it’s worth the wait.

Hope this helps this is only my experience.

Cheers Mags

Posted: 06 July 2007 12:20 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-16

well, still waiting for the NIE that i’ve asked thrugh the spanish embassy in brussels.

Had no problem for a electricity account. Just gave the number of my belgian passport and it was oj.

Posted: 06 July 2007 06:28 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

In this area (Costa Blanca) they will accept a passport number if an NIE is not available but will insist on payment from a Spanish bank account using a direct debit. The NIE is compulsory when you purchase taxable assets ie house or car.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca