Renting an aparment safely?
Posted: 02 September 2011 06:48 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-02

hello 😊 I will be moving to barcelona in one month and I have been panicking none stop about finding an apartment, my goal is to find a small studio flat but if I have no luck I wont have a problem of finding a room for rent in a shared apartment, the thing is I am scarred I’ll be scammed by the agency or the person renting the apartment out. the thing is im pretty young and I still live with my parents so this is my first time living alone so i really have no experience in renting a room/flat!
help!  I need some tips about how to figure out if something is fishy and how to take safety measures before renting an apartment in barcelona (meaning which documents do I have to check or something like that).
thanks in advance to anybody who answers!

Posted: 02 September 2011 05:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-07-28

What you need to know are the basics of renting (as of any country).. but especially in Spain, due to the crisis, there are issues with trust so many landlords will ask for what they call an “Aval” (bank security, where you have to pre pay something like up to 6 months of rent plus administration fees for the bank), or they might ask for 2 months rent in deposit in cash, or even prepay 6 months of rent. Rental Contracts will be in Spanish, so if you?re scared and don?t speak the language, best get a Spanish speaker with you.

I think the easiest (and cheapest) thing you should do is rent a room in a shared flat rather than rent your own studio. That way you?ll have everything set up, meet some friendly people who will help you get started. Numerous sites like Loquo and Idealista have sections advertising rooms. Or if you?re going to study at a Uni, ask them for help. Or if you?re short on help, look for expat or student agencies. They will most likely charge commission, but at least you?ll be sure.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:18 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-09-02

Thanks! that’s help full :D I found this real estate agency for expats called http://suitelife.com/ which I think looks pretty safe and nice ,has anybody had any experience with renting out an apartment from them? .
I also searched on loquo seems that most shared apartments look nice and safe but you do find the occasional scammish looking add :D
Anybody can suggest a good expat or student agency?! in barcelona please.

Posted: 04 September 2011 12:25 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

http://www.versionoriginalbcn.com/

I attended the above language school in the city c1999, but know they are still running (and expanding from what I see.)
They offered accommodation (on a monthly fee basis) for foreign students (I actually stayed with the founders cousin, but I think she does it as a regular thing.)

Perhaps try them and see if they can help.

Likewise, I am sure the Uni will be able to help as they must have to assist hundreds of foreign students who go to study there.

Good luck! 

NB As with any contract, do not pay more than one months deposit and one month in advance. Beware of agencies who are trying to suck another month out of you (although you may find you have little choice if you cannot get on finding somewhere in the private/direct to housemates ads.)  GET A WRITTEN CONTRACT - as it will give you some protection. And do read all the other stories of private landlords etc on these forums.

Posted: 05 January 2016 03:29 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2016-01-05

We help to everybody who want to move to Barcelona.
We would be happy to help with any questions you may have.

http://www.bllrelocation.com

Posted: 09 March 2016 05:57 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-02-18

Contact this agency if you are looking for a compregensive support to find a rental or buy a property in Spain : http://www.ready4spain.com/en/