1 2 > 
1 of 2
NIE - Changes
Posted: 02 June 2007 09:06 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-04

I have just obtained my NIE and thought I would relay my experience to others for clarification and update of the process. Upon arrival in Spain 7 weeks ago I went to the local Police Station and was given an appointment for June 1st; yesterday. I went along with completed form ( downloaded from Spain expat ), photocopy of my passport and 2 photos, but things have now changed and the only necessary document you need is your passport.
  The first change to note is that the application form has been updated, therefore the example ( for download ) on Spain Expat is no longer valid. In typical Spanish fashion, upon completion of the form at the Police station you will than have to go to the nearest bank with your form and 6.70?; the bank will stamp the form and you will then have to return to the Police station once again. Now your form will be processed while you wait ( only a few minutes ) and you will be presented with an offical certificate with your NIE number. In total, the whole process took about 90 minutes from start to finish.
  It’s important to note however, that photo ID cards are no longer issued to ” Extranjeros “. Therefore, your Passport, along with your “shiny new” NIE certificate is your only valid means of identification whilst out and about in Spain. Now, if like me, you wanted an NIE card as a convenient means of clarifying your identity to officials if and when required ( instead of risking the loss of your passport ) i’m afraid you are stumped. The only alternative I can think of is to carry a colour photocopy of both my passport photo page and NIE certificate. I asked one of the police officers about this and the response was non commital…...ie, it would depend upon the officer in question. If anyone has any other ideas I would be pleased to hear from you.

Steve.

Posted: 02 June 2007 09:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, interesting. Good advice. Can you post this on http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/id_numbers_in_spain/ ?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 June 2007 06:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-12-19

What is the difference between the NIE certificate and the non-lucrative residence card I must apply for when I go to the Policia Station to register to live in Spain??

I already have my Visa Stamp to arrive in Spain from the USA, I was told I MUST go to the local Pocicia and register within 30 days of my arrival. When I register for the residence card to be able to live there legally, will I also be given an NIE (which I understand is obligatory to live there is I plan on doing ANYTHING financial).

I called a lawyer there who helps obtain NIE certificates and she told me there was no problem getting it for me—but I would ALASO have to register for the non-lucrative residence card. Is there, then, any advantage to getting the NIE beforehand, if I also must get the residence card??

Needless to say I am confused.

Thanks for any help

Posted: 05 June 2007 08:35 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Well, as it says on the page I linked to above, the NIE has nothing to do with your right to live in Spain beyond paying taxes. You’ll need it for various to-do items but you need a visa to have the right to live here.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 06 June 2007 07:22 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-05-27

as far as i know the NIE certificate is not required to be carried around as an ID. as far as i understand it is now illegal to demand for NIE card as a form of ID and the only thing you could be asked for is your passport. This is EU law, not Spanish, so EU overrides.

could i be wrong?

Signature 

Valencia City Guide
Complete Tourist Guide to Valencia

Posted: 17 June 2007 02:37 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-17

Steve,can you tell me which comisaria office you visited? We are completing our house purchase in Extremadura on the
        26th June and have been waiting for our NIE numbers(applied through embassy in London)since april.

Posted: 18 June 2007 12:14 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-18

I also have just experienced this, I moved to Madrid just seven days ago and have yet to go back to pick up the NIE.  I am a little worried about having to carry my passport around with me constantly.  Does a european drivers license count as valid ID?  I have spent the last few years in the US and there the drivers license is the main thing.  Would a UK license work in spain as ID or not?

Posted: 18 June 2007 05:43 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-06-18

Hi All,  I am first timer and my name is Babybadger, I started drinking in ......

Seriously, does anyone know the nearest local Police Station to ‘Piles’ near Oliva? Am I to understand that this process of getting NIE’s for the family can be achieved within 1 working day apart from making the appointment at the Police Station? Can the appointment be made from the UK or via a Spanish National? Can the NIEs be posted to a Spanish National living in another area?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Posted: 04 July 2007 07:45 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-04
valenciavalencia - 06 June 2007 07:22 AM

as far as i know the NIE certificate is not required to be carried around as an ID. as far as i understand it is now illegal to demand for NIE card as a form of ID and the only thing you could be asked for is your passport. This is EU law, not Spanish, so EU overrides.

could i be wrong?

I?ve been searching high and low for the EU directive that states it?s illegal to request/demand your NIE card as a form of ID.  If you could point me in the right direction with regards to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

If such a directive does exist, perhaps someone should inform the UK?s Home Office:

http://www.identitycards.gov.uk/benefits-individual-foreign.asp

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2007 09:27 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

The document entitled Regulations governing EU citizens in Spain says the following:

Do I have to identify myself when the police ask me to?

Yes - You and your family members are obliged to identify yourselves to members of the police force if they ask you to do so (by submitting a valid passport or Identity document)

They do not define Identity document but I would take it mean another countries national ID card which of course we Brits do not have!

As far as I know there is no such thing as an NIE card - there was a residencia card which is NOT now issued - the new residencia certificate process is explained in the above document.

Replying to another point -  Also a country has to meet or exceed EU law - ie it must at least comply to the level of EU law but can choose to exceed it.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 09 July 2007 10:15 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-04

OK Robi I understand what you?re saying.  But surely the point is that I can identify myself equally as well with the ?tarjeta de residencia?.  This document used to be compulsory for ?extranjeros? and then became optional and now you can?t even get hold of one even if you want to.  So the point that I?m trying to make, in a round about way, is that there is no legal requirement for Spain to stop issuing these cards (as they have done in the past), of is there? It sounds to me like they?re just trying to make life difficult for ?los guiris?.

Given the option I would prefer to carry a credit card-sized ID card, rather than my passport, down to the local cervecer?a.

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2007 06:07 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

The residencia card is now no longer issued to EU citizens relocating to Spain as a result of a new EU directive (2004/58/EG) which the objective was to make it much simpler for EU citizens to exercise their rights to freely move to another country. The very unfortunate bye product appears to be that the Brits now no longer will have an ID card issued by Spain. In addition where as before it was an option for some not to have to apply for the card now you have to apply for the certificate within 3 months of arrival in Spain. The certificate is not a form of ID merely proof of registration.

Another part of this is that after 5 years continuous residence in Spain you can be granted Permanent Residence - this assuming you have not caused a serious problem in that 5 years and have been ?lawfully resident?. This again though appears to be via a certificate which I assume is different to the initial one that you will be issued with on ?Day 1?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 08 August 2007 01:22 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

In response to Limey 33’s post, I live in Spain part of the year and have never been asked for my passport except when checking in to a hotel, so I don’t as a rule carry it around with me.  You need ID to back up a credit or debit card purchase in a store, but a UK driver’s licence is acceptable, so I assume any other driver’s licence works too.  Once, when I was stopped by the Guardia Civil, I thought they would demand my passport, but the officer didn’t want it and was quite happy with my licence and insurance document for the vehicle.  The NIE seems to be getting less necessary - when I was about to open my Spanish bank account I was told the NIE would be necessary, but the bank manager did not ask for it, even when I took out a mortgage. Neither did I require it during the purchase of my property.  However, when buying electrodomesticos - fridge, cooker etc. - I’ve had to provide my NIE number to the store, for some reason.  Don’t pay a lawyer to get the NIE for you - it’s very easy and you need only basic Spanish. Take your passport to the local Comisaria de Policia and whether they’re using the new or old system, they will tell you what to do. It took me five minutes in the Comisaria and the document was ready in a week, but they would not post it out; I had to pick it up in person.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 August 2007 02:35 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Martcross, I understand that you are speaking from your experience but to say the NIE is getting less important cannot be true - I am really amazed that neither your bank or the notary asked for it! If you are a Spanish resident you must notify your bank and then your account is changed to a residents account and via your NIE (the number is your Spanish tax reference number) they will take tax on the interest. Also when you buy property it has to be allocated to an NIE number again for tax purposes - even if you not a resident you have to have NIE for a property purchase. (I hope your property is legal!)

This as far as I know is law in Spain and certainly in the Costa Blanca area all the notaries that we use will not entertain you without NIE.

Regarding the Guardia - it just depends on the day and mood what they ask for - when I have been stopped in the car for a routine check its been driving licence and car registration documents only.
I have never been asked for my passport - they ask for residencia - a practice that will have to change!

What part of Spain are you living (part time) in ?? It is obviously very lax!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 08 August 2007 03:00 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Hi Robi,

Yeah, we’re in the Wild-West Alpujarra, Granada, where people really do trust each other, leave the door unlocked, tie the burro outside the bar and all those other cliches.  Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear - we did not need NIEs to open the bank account or buy property, but we did provide the numbers later.  I meant to convey that you don’t need to get the NIE before doing any other kind of business, and you shouldn’t let it hold you up - not in my experience, anyway.  I think we’re entirely legal - we have paid the Spanish equivalent of stamp duty, anyway!

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 August 2007 03:13 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi Mart,

Nice part of the world - I had a weeks walking (all up hill!) and really enjoyed it.

OK another question - when did you complete your transaction ? Yes I agree sometime ago you could do the NIE bit later but now its impossible!!

Yes you are legal (my suspicious mind was thinking you might be involved in a scam!)

Have you met the famous writer from your part of the world??

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

1 2 > 
1 of 2