Repatriation ?!
Posted: 19 December 2011 02:25 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

It seems the Sunday Times published the following. 

“THE BRITISH Foreign and Commonwealth Office is drawing up plans to evacuate thousands of British expatriates from Spain and Portugal in the event that their banking systems collapse, reports the Sunday Times.

The number of expats living in Spain has increased more than sixfold in the last decade with emigrants nows making up 12% of the population.

According to the paper, Foreign Office sources said it was planning for a ?nightmare scenario? with thousands of penniless Britons sleeping at airports with no money and no means of getting home.

Among the contingency plans being discussed are sending planes, ships and coaches to evacuate expats.

It comes as credit rating agencies warn that the deal struck by EU leaders this month may not save the single currency from further turbulence and possible collapse.

The Treasury confirmed to the Times that plans to give emergency aid to Britons if eurozone banks collapse were being prepared but refused to give details.

The paper added that a senior Foreign Office source said the plans were being drawn up to deal with a worst case scenario. It is drawing on experiences of other mass evacuations, such as during the 2006 war between Hezbollah and Israel where the UK sent warships to evacuate expats from Lebanon.”

(Above courtesy of “Bri” on the other forum).

Posted: 19 December 2011 02:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Amazing they have nothing better to do - so we are all going to leave our homes, friends, businesses etc and return to the UK IF the Euro collapses I don’t think so….......to return to what.
With exchange rates at 1,19 we are actually better off - and if the peseta were to re appear we will use that.
They must be mad.
So what do you think?

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 20 December 2011 10:31 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Rob.  They seem to think that World War III will break out in Spain.  LOL. Why in Spain and not in some other country, I don’t know.

Maybe they know something the rest of us don’t. 

Have the governments of other countries plans in place to expatriate THEIR citizens (Germans, Scandinavians, French etc.)

Patricia

Posted: 30 December 2011 06:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-12-30
Campana - 19 December 2011 02:25 AM

It seems the Sunday Times published the following. 

“THE BRITISH Foreign and Commonwealth Office is drawing up plans to evacuate thousands of British expatriates from Spain and Portugal in the event that their banking systems collapse, reports the Sunday Times.

The number of expats living in Spain has increased more than sixfold in the last decade with emigrants nows making up 12% of the population.

According to the paper, Foreign Office sources said it was planning for a ?nightmare scenario? with thousands of penniless Britons sleeping at airports with no money and no means of getting home.

Among the contingency plans being discussed are sending planes, ships and coaches to evacuate expats.

It comes as credit rating agencies warn that the deal struck by EU leaders this month may not save the single currency from further turbulence and possible collapse.

The Treasury confirmed to the Times that plans to give emergency aid to Britons if eurozone banks collapse were being prepared but refused to give details.

The paper added that a senior Foreign Office source said the plans were being drawn up to deal with a worst case scenario. It is drawing on experiences of other mass evacuations, such as during the 2006 war between Hezbollah and Israel where the UK sent warships to evacuate expats from Lebanon.”

(Above courtesy of “Bri” on the other forum).

Posted: 30 December 2011 07:54 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-12-30

This is becoming rather interesting for the following reasons. The journalist from the Sunday Times who reported this story on repatriation from Spain to the UK is well respected and has a good reputation and is known to have good sources.

Not with standing this I have spoken to the British Embassy in Madrid where I recieved the standard response from a diplomat which was a negative one. I perceived the person I was speaking to was reding off a prepared document in response to this specific enquiry.

I then contacted the Conservative Party Central Office in London where I spoke to a number of people where the following was agreed. Yes there was a contigency plan being planned but this was specific on whether the Spanish banking sytem as a whole collapsed. I was then directed to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.

On making the call I again spoke to another diplomat who virtually word for word repeated the quote I recieved from the British Embassy in Madrid. I was then directed to the British Consulate in Malaga where I eventually spoke to a charming lady who again read virtually word perfect the previous responses from Madrid and London.

At this point I informed her what I had been told by Conservative Party Central Office and then the picture and tone began to change. In a none to calm voice I was asked who had given me this information. What was their name. What had they actually told me. I was then placed on hold and a few minutes later the same person returned in much calmer voice informing me the consulate had no idea of this information.

They did however ask for my full name. Where I lived. My phone number and then bade me a very happy New Year.

Now I can fully understand why there is a party line they a clearly holding and why the quotes from Madrid, London and Malaga are practically word perfect. The British government do nor want panic to set in. They do not want the Spanish banking system to collapse which could have a knock on effect around the Euro zone. Already there a people discussing removing their svaings from Spanish banks and that is also a quote from the consular offices.

In conclusion the one constant in all this is the quote that if there is a ‘collapse of the Spanish banking system’ repatriation is a possibility. Would other governments in Europe allow this to occur? Possible but highly doubtful.

Posted: 03 February 2012 01:08 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-12-30

The other day I received mail on behalf of the Co Chairman of the Conservative Party, Baroness Warsi. The mail was written by Oliver Wells who stated the following.

Dear Sir

I am writing on behalf of the party Co-Chairman, Baroness Warsi, to thank you for your E mail of the 30 December.

As the Sunday Times report says the Treasury has confirmed that plans to give emergency aid to Britons if eurozone bank’s collapse are being prepared but they are still yet to release details.

Thank you for getting in touch. I hope you find this information reassuring

Yours sincerely

Oliver
Office of the Party Co-Chairman
Conservative Campaign Head Quarters

Now I am aware that no one wishes to leave their homes, families and friends however if the banks do close it must be taken into consideration that there will be next to no warning. Credit cards will cease to function. Cheques will be unacceptable. Food and water will run out. Retail outlets will be unable to purchase goods for their shops. The whole;e infrastructure of the country will cease to exist.

Should this occur there will be no knowing when the fiscal system of the country will recover. These are just a few of the problems which could occur and I believe it only right not to bury our heads in the sand. What the British government is now doing is right and sensible.

Regards

Ray

Posted: 03 February 2012 02:29 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Ray:

Someone is pulling your leg I fear (You wouldn’t be pulling ours, now would you, by any chance?). 
Re-read “Oliver’s” e-mail.
Bad grammar:  “....plans to give emergency aid to Britons if eurozone banks (not bank’s) collapse…...”
It is very unlikely that “the 30 December” would be written thus.  (30th December, or, December 30).
And it isn’t Head Quarters (lol), it is “Headquarters”.
And how delightfully familiar of him to sign just “Oliver”. 
And in these times they would never call Ms. Warsi the Co-ChairMAN.  She would be the Co-Chairperson

People who make up “official letters” should at least get their grammar and concepts right. Heh heh

Dear Sir

I am writing on behalf of the party Co-Chairman, Baroness Warsi, to thank you for your E mail of the 30 December.

As the Sunday Times report says the Treasury has confirmed that plans to give emergency aid to Britons if eurozone bank?s collapse are being prepared but they are still yet to release details.

Thank you for getting in touch. I hope you find this information reassuring

Yours sincerely

Oliver
Office of the Party Co-Chairman
Conservative Campaign Head Quarters

Posted: 03 February 2012 05:49 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-07-28

Wow! That?s dramatic… but considering the UK makes contingency plans for just about anything including zombie invasions, this is not a surprise, just protocol.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jul/07/when-zombies-attack-bristol-city-council-undead-invasion

Haven?t heard anything from the Oz embassy, nor any local news, so I highly doubt this occurrence.

Besides, the Spanish banking system will not collapse overnight. What IS chipping away at it is all the austerity and heightened capital requirements, including the recent one where the government is pushing the banks to provision more capital for real estate asset losses. If anything happens, I?m sure the Germans will happily buy one of the Balearic islands or two. And for the banks to really collapse, they need the Bank of Spain to collapse first. China will be jumping around too since they do own several major assets.

Symtoms - There?s loads of things that one can look out for - (1) When Paypal stops servicing Spain (2) When shops switch back to pesetas (3) When they stop paying the paro. (4) Maybe the bankers turn into zombies. I work with them, they don?t seem to be that dissimilar…

That?s what to look out for… 😊

Posted: 04 February 2012 04:52 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-12-30

Hello Expat.

The answer to your points are very simple. Do as I did and contact Conservative Party Central office for confirmation. Its no good criticising hoping this will go way.

Maybe when you speak to the author of this mail you can take him to task for his grammar.