Are there any jobs?
Posted: 04 February 2012 10:18 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-04

Hello, I’m looking into potential TEFL programs in Spain; can anyone tell me what the job climate is there? I know unemployment is around 23% or something ridiculous like that…I’m debating whether to invest in moving. Are people finding TEFL jobs in Spain right now? Appreciate any feedback/experience you have to offer.

Posted: 27 February 2012 09:45 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-01-14

Hi andreac and welcome to the forum.  Yes there is a demand for TEFL teachers especially in Madrid and Barcelona (or other large cities).  There is a useful page on this site about teaching English in Spain.

I’m not familiar with TEFL training in Spain as I did mine many years ago in England…so can’t help you there.

Most schools only offer part time positions so you may have to do a couple of part time positions, and look for individual students to teach them in their home (or your home - be careful!) to make ends meet.  It seems quite competitive however so make sure your CV is up to date and clear. It also helps if you can speak Spanish!

There are pitfalls and some schools won’t offer contracts or only pay for ‘self-employed’ teachers on short term contracts (which happens in England too!) - I think its so that they don’t get ‘stuck’ with unsuitable teachers. You can always ask on here if you are in doubt about a particular offer…..or course.

I’m happy teaching English using Skype video calls.  You have to do a lot of emailing to prepare your students for the next online meeting, but I’m not complaining 😊
Do some research before before taking the plunge and I hope some other teachers on here can give you some guidance, so you can make an informed decision.
keep in touch, lioness

Posted: 29 March 2012 05:30 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-05-06

Hi andreac and lioness,

Yes, I agree that there’s still quite a lot of demand for TEFL teachers in Madrid and Barcelona. Oxbridge has a TEFL course and offer work to lots of the graduates from the course and we’re looking for quite a few teachers this summer because we’re going to be doing some summer camps. We try to prioritise the best graduates from the TEFL course but there’s also lots of other options available.

Our teachers get a contract and normally teach around 16-18 ours per week. They can also create ‘activities’ and lesson plans for which they are paid just short of an hour’s pay. There is also project work available for extra cash often based around our blog and some teachers teach their own private classes in their spare time, for which you can often charge 25? for an hour and a half. All in all, although there are lots of English academies and TEFL teachers in Spain it does seem that there are plenty of hours teaching available.

We also teach some classes via Skype, as it’s growing in popularity and is really flexible. As lioness says, it’s worth doing your research before you take the plunge but give us a call if you want to have a chat about the various different options and I’ll try to help.

Best of luck with it all anyway!

Joe @ Oxbridge

Posted: 02 April 2012 02:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-05-06

Hi zoejoe, it is still possible for non-native English speakers to get jobs. You have to make sure that you’re English grammar is excellent and that you have excellent pronunciation. Oxbridge employs a few non-native speakers that did the TEFL course too. In fact the non-natives often have better English grammar skills than some of the natives! As long as you’ve got a NIE/DNI and Social Security number for Spain you should be fine to get work although I do know some language academies will find it easier to just ask for native speakers. I guess the key thing is being able to demonstrate your grammar knowledge and show that you’ve had some experience teaching and preparing lesson plans.

Posted: 02 April 2012 06:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Andreac,
We are based near Fuengirola (near Malaga city).
A friends wife has been teaching TEFL locally for past 8yrs, but given it up as A) it is self employed only (i.e they will not give a secured contract - even PT), B) It is not secure or regular. C) The hours are mostly evenings and as her husband works daytime, they were getting no quality time together. Oh, and the pay was very low.

Just so as you know!

(Beware also of schools who do not pay, go bust etc, etc.  I am sure there are some reputable ones out there, but do your homework where possible 😉

Good luck!

ps If you are autonomo (self employed) you have to pay the Eu250pcm social security for your health cover, regardless of what hours/money you earn!!!

Posted: 29 April 2012 08:39 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-04-29
Oxbridge - 29 March 2012 05:30 PM

Hi andreac and lioness,

Yes, I agree that there’s still quite a lot of demand for TEFL teachers in Madrid and Barcelona. Oxbridge has a TEFL course and offer work to lots of the graduates from the course and we’re looking for quite a few teachers this summer because we’re going to be doing some summer camps. We try to prioritise the best graduates from the TEFL course but there’s also lots of other options available.

When people say “quite a lot” of demand, what do they mean? Is Spain full of very experienced teachers, or do newbies stand a chance of getting a job?

I work with unemployed people and a lot of politicians and some people in the work force are saying the jobs are there for those who want them, but there’s more unemployed people than jobs… Though hopefully in Spain, there’s a good teacher to job ratio!

Is the industry thriving and likely to continue to thrive in the recession?

Posted: 30 April 2012 07:41 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

http://www.madridteacher.com/wanted-jobs-employment.htm

Posted: 30 April 2012 09:40 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

please becareful of TEFL Job Scams , and few outher . if you ask two sent money to back account in Spain for Visa and Working Permit Authorisation letter and Social Security card was among the employees? documents released today by the Ministry of Trabajo and Immigracion but the ministry is requesting you to present receipt of ?230euros as administrative fees of issuing the document .

we see DOCTORS/NURSES one more off many scams ...  alwas good email address , telphone numbers email address and so on , any ask for money up fornt beaware off them

Posted: 02 May 2012 03:36 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-05-02

I’m having a difficult time finding a job.

andreac - 04 February 2012 10:18 PM

Hello, I’m looking into potential TEFL programs in Spain; can anyone tell me what the job climate is there? I know unemployment is around 23% or something ridiculous like that…I’m debating whether to invest in moving. Are people finding TEFL jobs in Spain right now? Appreciate any feedback/experience you have to offer.