Dangerous Dogs - New Laws No’s 50/99
Posted: 28 June 2007 12:13 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-06-28

Hello to you all,

Today I have read that new laws have been brought in which update the Spanish Dangerous Dog laws.

German Shepherds are now showing on the list of specific breeds which are classed as dangerous dogs.

I can only find one article regarding this and all other reference is still to the old list which does not have German Shepherds named.

Can anyone else give any further information on this please.

Posted: 28 June 2007 12:03 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Could I also ask it if includes Boxers ?? and where can you get a copy of the list ??

thanks

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 28 June 2007 03:30 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-06-28

Hi,

I did a google search but only one result re the NEW laws. All the others were for the original laws.

Boxers are not named but it does say all dogs over 25kilos which I would think a boxer is.

I will copy and paste below:

ARTICLES      

Wednesday June 27 2007

New Dog Laws
Spain has now announced new laws No 50/99 which could affect you. A list of dogs considered dangerous has been drawn up as follows:-

Pit Bull and all Bull breeds
All Mastiffs
Canary Island Prey Dog
Caucasian Shepherd
Bordeaux
Brazilian Fila
Doberman
Rottweiller
Corsican Can
German Shepherds.
All dogs over 25 Kilos in weight.

All dogs that have any record of human or dog aggression or any dog that shows aggressive behaviour or any dog considered by the authorities to be dangerous, must now be registered and in possession of a special Licencia Municipal.

I strongly recommend that you seek further information from your local authority and seek further information from your vet who should be aware of the legal requirements.

Spain is a Federal country and has 17 different “Comunidades” or Federal states with their own parliament, government and also laws. A law in one “Comunidad” could be different from a similar law in another “Comunidad”.There are still a few Municipals area.s, which have not yet put this into effect therefore I strongly urge you to check with your local Municipality.

In Valencia, Madrid, Barcelon and other large cities a list has been made of “Perros Potencialmente Peligrosos”, dogs who could potentially be dangerous, and of course the Rottie, Dobermann, Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Dogo de Burdeos, Staffordshire, Presa Canaria, Fila Brasilero, etc are on the list, and also their crossbreeds. This means any dog crossed with any of the breeds on the list. You can only walk these dogs on a short lead of 1 metre and they always have to wear a muzzle once they are outside the home or in the car. Even if your dog is not one of those listed breeds, but has bitten a person or child in the past, it will be classified as if it was on the list of the dangerous dogs.

If you want to own a dog which is on the Dangerous list, you have to go and see a psychologist and do a test( of course in Spanish), just the same kind of test people have to pass if they want to buy a gun.(10.000 to 12.000pesetas or 60 to 72 euro)

If you are a resident in Spain you will have to apply for a document from the Ministry for the Interior, confirming that you do not have a criminal record. If you are nor a resident in Spain, you have to apply for such a document in your country of origin and have it translated in Spanish. Take the originals with you to the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento).

If you want to walk your potentially dangerous dog without a muzzle, you and your dog will have to pass a test with a vet. The vet will ask you a lot of questions and handle the dog himself because he has to confirm that you will have your dog under control in whatever circumstances and also that your dog will not react in an aggressive way if he is approached by a stranger. This test is only valid for 1 year and costs about 8.000 pesetas (48 euro). This certification that you can control your dog must be taken to the town hall when you register.

Pet owners are required by law to obtain a special insurance for their dogs with a liability of at least 20.000.000 pesetas (which is 120.000 euros). You will be required to take a copy of your Insurance Policy with you to the town hall.

You will also need to present 2 pictures per dog when you go to the town hall.

Your dog must have a chip for personal identification underneath his skin. You will also be requires to take the form confirming that the dog has a chip with you to the Town Hall, together with the booklet which has been given to you by your vet confirming that your vaccinations areup to date and registered.

If you have all these documents(and pictures) you will have to go to the Town Hall, show your passport or resident’s permit and fill out 2 Spanish forms. The first one is an application form confirming that you want to have a permit for your potentially dangerous dog; the second one is a form confirming that you want to register your dog in the municipal register. On this second form you will have to state that you have a guard dog, a dog for personal defense, a dog for personal protection or for other reasons and also if the dog has been trained, where it has been trained and by whom.

The application for a potentially dangerous dog is valid for only 3 years.

Finally I would comment.
Each are has its own forms used by the various municipalities and these might be different, but they all want as much information about you and your dog as possible.
Not every vet is qualified to subject you and your dog to the test of non aggression. Only the vets which have taken the course about non aggression with their “Colegio” or professional body.
Some psychologists are using the same tests as the ones they use for people wanting to buy a gun. Others have changed the contents a little bit. Some have made translations of the test forms, but please be cautious because I have seen translations where huge chunks of text has disappeared and others where the meaning of the Spanish question was totally altered in the Dutch, French, German or English translation.

This is not an easy application and unless you are able to speak and read Spanish fluently I would strongly recommend that you first discuss this with your vet and seek his assistance on each stage. You should also be prepared to pay for this service.
I would like to thank Bruno de los perros of Javea, Alicante, Spain T+F 00 34 96 646 24 35 -
Mobile phone 00 34 627 71 42 44 , E-mail: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) who will be pleased to assist and guide anyone with problems. He also will charge a fee.

Posted: 31 July 2007 09:24 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-07-31

Hi,
I read the below about the German Shepard dog and this concerns me as I am moving next month from the US to Madrid w/ my German Shepard dog.  I have been paying close attention to the requirements for entry with my non-commercial pet and have not found anything about German Shepards being on the list.  I am getting my information from the Office of Agriculture,Fisheries and Food, Embassy of Spain in Washington DC, the link is:
http://mapausa.org/Viaje/Animal/Nocomercial/danger.htm

And it states:
The Royal Decree classifies the following dogs as potentially dangerous:

a. Those belonging to one of the following breeds and their crosses:

* Pit Bull Terrier
  * Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  * American Staffordshire Terrier
  * Rottweiler
  * Dogo Argentino
  * Fila Brasileiro
  * Tosa Inu
  * Akita Inu

b. Those animals that have all or many of the following characteristics:

* Strong musculature, powerful or athletic constitution, robustness, agility, vigor and endurance.
  * Strong character and marked courage.
  * Short hair.
  * Thoracic perimeter between 60 and 80 centimeters (24 and 32 inches), height at the shoulder between 50 and 70 centimeters (20 and 28 inches) and weight over 20 kg (44 lbs).
  * Voluminous, square, robust head, with a wide and large skull and muscular and pronounced cheeks. Strong and large jaws, robust, wide and deep snout.
  * Broad, short and muscled neck.
  * Broad, thick, deep chest, with arched ribs and short and muscled back.
  * Straight, parallel and robust forelegs and very muscular hindquarters, with relatively long hindlegs at a moderate angle.

c. Those dogs with a record of aggressive tendencies or prior attacks to humans or other animals.

Dont you think this site would be updated if this were the case?  Just looking to find the facts?

Posted: 31 December 2007 07:37 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-08-10

ive got an American bulldog/irish staff and he’s the most child friendly, well behaved, people loving and dog loving dog ive ever met, i understand why these rules are in place and we are very happy to follow the proper guidelines, he fails the above in point a and all of b lol.
  Hopefully everything should be ok and we can get him over ok, do the airlines etc have a problem with certain dogs?

Posted: 01 January 2008 04:30 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I have a Put Bull terrier called Suzi, who was abandoned in our village and in a terrible state. So bad in fact, that we could’nt tell what breed she was exactly.

She was riddled with Leishmania, mange and all sorts of other problems. We took her to our local vet Juan, who did’nt think she would see more than a couple of weeks life. We took her in, got treatment for the Leishmania and gave her a chance. A year and a half later she’s completely clear of all her ailments and in perfect condition. The vet described her recovery as nothing short of a miracle and the veterinary university in Madrid has her records now, as they have never seen a dog with as bad a case of Leishmania recover, let alone clear completely. They are hoping they can use her information towards a cure, as apparently there is’nt currently a cure for this disease for animals, yet there is for humans.

She is the most loving, gentle and best natured dog we’ve ever owned and is a casing point that the responsibility of the owners is very important with any of the so-called dangerous dogs. I’ve always been of the opinion that it’s the owners that are dangerous, the animals need’nt be!

Here’s some before and after pictures of our “little” (35 kilos now 😊  ) angel Suzi…

Suzi Before

Suzi Before

And here’s how she looks now…

Suzi now

Suzi now

The other dog in the last photo is a Podenco. We’ve got him for 6 months quarantine before he goes to live in England with some friends.

Regarding the topic of the post. When we actually “discovered” what breed Suzi was, being aware of the regulations, we asked our vet and the locals in our village. They all said that locally, nobody bothers. Quite alarming considering there are irresponsible owners out there. We’ve had her chipped, etc.. but not registered. Will have to look into this more.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 02 January 2008 11:51 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-08-10

u nearly had my wife crying with that story Heath lol, well done mate, the dog looks in great health now, all credit to you.

Posted: 03 January 2008 01:11 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

You’ll probably get to meet Suzi when you’re over here Andy 😊

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”