Living in Almeria
Posted: 24 February 2012 02:08 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-06-30

Hi,
Having lived in the Malaga Province around 11 years ago & visited Almeria in 2007 our wish now is to return to Spain permanently.
Not wanting to go back to where we lived before we have been looking on the net at properties in Almeria. However, since our time there obviously things have changed quite a bit. Are the British still as welcome as they were, are there any ‘hot spots’ or ‘no go areas’ that are well known? and what is the main reason for Brits leaving the area at the moment.
Any ‘Brits’ living in Almeria or have left recently your advice would be welcome.

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:23 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-01-14

Many Brits have left Almeria and we did not have a good experience of living there (we left to return to Malaga) - its very dry and under-developed and (for what it was - a lot poorer) we thought it was expensive.  The menu de dias and drinks, and food, in Almeria were more expensive than in Malaga. 
A lot of the Brits we did encounter in Almeria were not happy really, I don’t want to go into details ...found very few happy souls.

Try looking at the Granada region or inland Malaga - there are still some good deals on rentals or property sales to be had, and with Brits and other nationalities mixed in so you don’t feel like you are in a British enclave (like in Almeria). I have found some wonderful Danish, Dutch and German friends as well as Spanish!
Anyhow its your choice but maybe rent for a year or two, then you can move until you find ‘your spot’ and commit your savings to buying a place.

I apologise in advance to everyone in Almeria who is happy there, it just didn’t suit us! The heat, dust, scorpions, snakes, etc. it was just too much of a ‘dry gulch’ sort of place, I guess thats why they filmed a lot of westerns there, but some people really like it that way.
kind regards, lioness

Posted: 28 February 2012 01:52 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-30

Hi lioness,

Thank you for your reply. It’s always good to hear all sides of the story. We do have an open mind & will take all comments on board.
We too enjoyed our time East of Malaga & found the people in the small village delightful, we were there for about 14 months and it was hard to say ‘goodbye’.

We are looking forward to exploring different areas until we find the place & property that suits us. (Hoping very much it will be later this year)
In the meantime any other advice/tips/observations that anyone may have will be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
susisoo.

Posted: 03 April 2012 04:10 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-14

Hi,

I live in Granada (Almeria is the next province along)
I visit the city and coast a few times each year and always enjoy my time.

There are many British people living in Almeria province, whether it be Mojacar/Vera area, Cabo de Gata or other parts.

Here?s a post on my blog which I wrote a few months ago specifically about Almeria tonw.  http://mollysp.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/almeria/

Another blog that may be useful is http://bobbovington.blogspot.com.es/
A Brit who lives in Almeria.

Kind regards
Molly

Posted: 03 April 2012 06:13 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-30

Hi Molly,

Thanks for taking the time to pass along the blogs. They made great reading on a dull & damp afternoon in not so sunny South Wales!

Any info about Almeria life is very welcome - in fact, does anyone have thoughts on the water situation? I been told the weather has been quite a bit warmer last winter and wondered what effects this may have.

Thanks again,
kind regards,
susisoo.

Posted: 03 April 2012 06:13 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Molly Hi…

Quick note from the moderators…

Re your other post… regarding English Speaking churches in Seville…

Thank you for a genuine response and reply, but the original poster is in clear breach of the rules re SPAM. I have therefore deleted the thread completely. 

The original poster’s IP address decodes to an address in Pakistan with a signature link to a computer repair company in Adelaide Australia.

He is also now banned!

fb
Mod / Admin

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

‹‹ Bars in Seville      Life in Barcelona Spain ››