My American Dog “Speedo” is coming to Spain !!
Posted: 03 April 2012 02:14 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-03-13

I’m in the process of getting his paperwork in order… I’ve gotten a “Certificado Veterinario/Veterinary Certificate for domestic dogs entering the European Union” and the “Health Certificate/Certificado Sanitario”. He’s gotten a 10-digit AVID Euro chip and anti-rabies vaccination. I’ll be going to USDA APHIS Veterinary Svc. to get the signature and seal on the certificates. Are there any other Americans in this forum that can tell me if I’m missing anything for a dog traveling from the USA to Spain? Any other pitfalls I should watch out for? I dread to think that some missing form could have Speedo turned away!

Any help/reassurances would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ross

Posted: 03 April 2012 04:09 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi,

I’m not American, but I found this Spanish Government link regarding the non-commercial import regulations and requirements for dogs…

http://www.mapausa.org/eng/nc_2.htm

Hope this helps…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 14 April 2012 09:26 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-03-13

Thanks so much! SPEEDO IS IN SPAIN!
Here’s what I ended up doing, and how everything turned out… in case another American is planning on doing this.:

My vet wasn’t sure about which form was needed by the US Dept of Agriculture, so we guessed it was one of the two most prevalent forms I had found on the internet. It wasn’t. When I went to the USDA, they printed out the correct form for me. I then took it back to my vet and had them fill it out.

Here’s what one should do:
Go first to your USDA and get the form that your vet needs to fill out.
Have your vet fill it out. Also, have your vet insert an ISO-compatible microchip in your dog (a 10 or 15-digit chip… NOT a typical 9-digit American chip.)
Get an original Rabies Vaccination Certificate from your vet.

And that should be it… I think. I say that because…

During the entire trip from Miami to Barcelona, NO ONE looked at any of this paperwork. Believe it or not! The 9 hour trip in the cargo hold didn’t seem to bother Speedo at all… when I picked him up in the Baggage area, he was just ready to get out of that crate and lift his leg… he had held it the entire trip.

Good luck to anyone going through this… it was pretty stressful, but I’m very glad I did it… I’m home in Sitges with my Speedo and we’re happy to be together!

Posted: 14 April 2012 09:48 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi, so glad it all worked out OK for you and Speedo.

My lot wouldn’t have lasted 2 hrs without cocking their collective legs! (Got four males and five females)...

Their adventures and our story at

delosabandonados.wordpress.com

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773