American needs help teaching in Spain! (long)
Posted: 04 April 2012 01:30 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-04

I need help on the basics. I’m giving myself about a year or so to improve my spanish. I’ll have my BA by then. I would like to know what you all consider to be the best course of action in applying for ESL positions in Spain. I really want to go to Madrid. I’m leaning toward using the CIEE program, because I’m not completely fluent and they offer you a buffer period to get used to living in the country for about a month before the teaching program starts. I’ve never been to Spain and I’m vary skeptical about going directly to the sources, like applying for jobs directly from my computer or telephone. I feel that CIEE as the middleman is a more secure route, especially for someone like me, who isn’t well traveled and would like time to get used to the area before teaching. Also, the program is in Madrid so I believe I am guaranteed a place to teach there.

However, it is pricey. About $5,000, if I remember correctly. Although I wonder if I wouldnt end up paying that much anyway once all is said and done with any costs that come with visa, insurance, and I want to get TEFL certification as well.

I’m curious about alternatives. Can anyone tell me in detail what it is like going directly through the government? How is qualification determined? Do you have to start teaching the moment you get there? Does the government help you find housing at all? etc.

Also, do you think it is wise to do TEFL certification here in Baltimore/D.C. or abroad?

And how fluent in Spanish do you need to be? I’ve heard some people who teach abroad and go from country to country say that you dont need to know the language. CIEE says you do, at least for their program. What does the government in Spain say about this? What do you recommend?

Finally, can you extend your visa while in Spain? For example, toward the end of my time in the CIEE program, could I get another teaching job there and not have to leave the country? And could I ever get a work visa in the EU? It seems impossible to get a work visa anywhere in the EU unless its with an international organization or something. It seems so weird to me. I guess I’m used to living in a country with literally millions of immigrants working legally and illegally that I assume it’s the same everywhere else. Unfortunately not. I’m doomed to live in America forever. lol C’est la vie.

Help me out, please 😊

Posted: 08 April 2012 10:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-01-14

Hi doowahdiddy, I read your posting and have a couple of suggestions, - I would say that its probably best to do your TEFL training alongside improving your Spanish before you set off for Spain - be very careful about paying money for courses you know little about. If you aren’t happy with the course then its difficult to get a refund..

I don’t know much about the visa situation for Americans, but any schools would need to know that you are properly registered before offering a position.

I think if you dig around and contact the Spanish Embassy in USA then they would be able to give you all the details you need. Spain does have illegal workers but its usually in agriculture and labour intensive occupations. 
The Spanish authorities are obsessed with paperwork, so theres no sneaking around it.

You are not doomed to living in America forever…LOL.  Just need to get organized - as practice you could arrange an intercambio (free language exchange) with a Spanish person - it would be easy to do this using skype video and would give you an idea of the country.
Sorry I can’t answer all your questions, but hope I’ve helped a little, lioness