sending boxes to Spain
Posted: 15 April 2012 07:24 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-15

Hi,

I’m new to the forum, about to move to Spain in a few weeks.
I don’t own much stuff so I was thinking of posting a few boxes, 7 or 8 medium boxes.
I sent boxes from Bangladesh to Thailand (where I live now) and I had no problem but
I am told there might be problems sending boxes to Spain.

What do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch

Posted: 24 May 2012 05:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-05-23

I had no problem sending a large old 19thC Portuguese chest packed with stuff from Qatar to Spain about four years ago…

No problem in Doha, I could see everything being packed-up and taken away with efficiency… in Spain they were to go to my house in Extremadura… yes, Extremadura… you know, that autonomous community in SW Spain - so OK, not a lot of people know that.

I was due to be at the house the week it arrived, got a phone call the day before, eagerly waited… no show. Phoned the Spanish freight company: snag with customs it will be with you next week, ‘... yes, but I wont be’, I said.

Now at this point I had no friends and only one or two acquaintances in Spain who might take delivery for me: sad but true Gisele… I’d known this guy for a few years but he wouldn’t take it for me!... ‘drugs, Tim, those kind of things… ‘, he muttered. ‘Roger, I’m not a drugs smuggler’, I said but dropped it… (name changed for privacy, etc., etc..)

Anyhow, I thought well it will be left in a warehouse somewhere between Madrid and Badajoz if they can’t deliver it and I’ll go an collect it - all the 80kgs of wood that looked like pine but weighed the same as ebony.

A month or two later when I returned to Spain to check up on the major building work I expected to see a aviso slip saying ‘... sorry, there was no one in at the time of delivery, your goods have been transported back half way around the world and your unlikely to see them again… ‘. The chest is old and beautiful and only cost half the price of transportation but still it would be a disaster to lose it.

Opened the door: there it was - builder had taken delivery of it… sometimes things just happen. I’m sure your stuff will be fine, don’t worry.

All the best
Tim

Posted: 24 May 2012 05:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-15

Thanks Tim,
glad to know you did get your chest in the end
I’ll be sending 5 boxes by post
all my belongings (yep, as the years go by, the less stuff I own)

I’m expect it might be a future anecdote
Mailing boxes from Thailand is a breeze,
I do hope receiving the boxes in Spain will be breezy
or at least not too tempestuous

Posted: 26 May 2012 03:38 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-05-23

Coincidently I’m just moving the final possessions from London to Spain and I’m over my Ryanair baggage allowance which is not that difficult… you can take a toothbrush for hand baggage and check-in a handbag - only kidding, but not far from the truth. I found this shipping company that are quite cheap…

http://www.transglobal.org.uk

The home page focuses on deliveries originating from the UK, but if you click on the red button ‘Worlwide Shipping Quotation’ you may get what you need…

Best of luck
Tim