Working under contract, also occasional freelance work
Posted: 30 April 2012 03:33 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-30

Hi there,

I have a job with a Spanish company and have a contract (albeit a temporary one). So I’m cotizando and paying tax on that money and it’s all above board. I also do the odd writing gig for overseas clients - we’re talking ?150 every two months, at the most. So, the age old situation is I don’t want to go autonomo (in addition to the contract) to be able to invoice those jobs. I could just invoice the overseas clients and not declare, but I would like it to be above board. So, here’s the question. Can someone who has a contract also legally invoice up to a certain amount per year without going autonomo? Perhaps it means invoicing on your NIE (which I believe you can do up to ?1500 per year - though nobody has ever told me where that’s written) or some other way?

A Spanish friend told me she believes that teachers (for instance) can be earning under their contract but do extra odd jobs (such as give a talk at a conference) without going freelance. Perhaps this just comes under that idea that you can invoice a certain amount on your NIE (as a foreigner) or your tax number (for a Spaniard).

Or, does it just come down to the “habitual” definition of whether you need to go autonomo or not? i.e. it’s not an amount like ?1500 or ?3000, but just the “habitual” thing which is the determiner (and perhaps those monetary amounts are used by people as guides…)

Any thoughts or your own experience will be a big help.

Cheers,

James

‹‹ Metro Madrid Price Inflation      Expat Tax ››