Criminal Background Check needed for VISA?
Posted: 30 April 2012 07:17 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-04-23

Hello all,

Is a Criminal Background Check from the U.S. needed for a residency VISA in Spain?  According to the Spanish Embassy website the answer is “yes” but I was wondering if in fact, it were true.  I have been unable to contact the Embassy directly.  If so, how soon before my departure (now November 3, 2012) should I get this?

I would appreciate anyone’s help.

Thank you.

Mike Rutledge

Posted: 30 April 2012 08:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Criminal Background is done at you loacl police station , just ask if you have any out standing problems , parking tickets , many want to pay them now ... that is included aswell ,
very easy to get ... had to do myself from Usa to EU job few years ago ... Ask a cop that you know aswell

Jurdy

Posted: 02 May 2012 10:01 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-26

That’s actually incorrect. You cannot use a police background check obtained in a municipal station in the US for use in applying for Spanish residency. A background check is absolutely required, but it must be from either the state police department of the state in which you reside (State Police often have a background check service available by mail) or at a federal level from the FBI (you might need to go to some location to get fingerprinted if you choose this route). Give it about a month to process either way.

Of couse, if you managed to pull it off with a local municipal record, that’s great. But the official stance is that such a record is not allowed.

Posted: 02 May 2012 10:36 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-04-23

Thanks for the info.  As I dug deeper into the Spanish Embassy website it clearly states that the background check MUST be from the State or FBI.  I chose the FBI and my fingerprints and application were sent out today for overnight/return receipt delivery.

Thanks again for your input.

Mike

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:19 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-01

Hey rut42 I’m in the process of obtaining my residency card and need to get the background check.  You said you found it stated on the embassy webpage that a state or federal (FBI) background check would work, could you direct me to where you found that? I can’t find it after searching the Washington embassy page.  I’m hoping to avoid an FBI check because of a misdemeanor in another state, would be great if I could just use the state background check.  thanks in advance!