Clases Particulares—A bad idea??
Posted: 03 May 2012 12:47 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-05-03

Hi,

I’m currently in the thick of becoming TEFL certified and also finishing up my last quarter at university. My goal is to graduate and then move myself to Granada, Spain to teach English but have gotten mixed reactions as to the wisdom of my choice. I applied to the North American Cultural Ambassador Program (offered through the Spanish government) and have not yet heard back, so it’s increasingly looking like I’ll have to go it alone.

I am well aware that the Spanish economy is in a shambles and that the situation is particularly poor in Andalusia. Is there anyone who can give me good advice regarding whether or not I can support myself teaching private English classes in Granada, and maybe doing some “canguro”/nanny work on the side for extra cash? Or am I making a huge mistake doing this in the event the program I applied to doesn’t pan out? Thanks and I hope to get some feedback.

Posted: 03 May 2012 12:00 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2010-06-04

We teach TEFL English in the Ecija Area of Sevilla, the going rate is about 5 euro an hour if you want to be full up with clients. You will find that most work is in the evenings and weekends, due to school and work. We have a lot of work and have to turn some down, but we do have other interests. We also work with a language school and have children throughout the summer board with us so that they are totally immersed in English, and adults stay at weekends for cookery classes etc.

Posted: 03 May 2012 05:23 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hannah.

As Granad is a university city it is probable that with time you could build up a portfolio of private students.  However, that could take time.  It might be an idea at first to work for one of the language academies in the city.

This is one, and it has been in business since 1954.  Located in Puerta Real right in the heart of Granada.

Patricia

Posted: 07 May 2012 12:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-05-03

Thank you both for your advice. I am planning on first trying to get hired at an academy, but I’ve read mixed opinions on the job market for North Americans. Some have said that EU citizens are preferred (for paperwork reasons) and it is therefore next to impossible to get a job at an academy unless you are going through some type of program (which I will not be doing.) Others have said that it is completely doable to get hired “under the table” and to work without a work visa. Can either of you attest to this in any way? I’d be curious to hear your thoughts, and thanks again for sharing your experiences with me.

Posted: 10 May 2012 01:30 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-05-10

Hey i’m actually an Auxiliar de conversacion right now in spain, in Murcia, right next to Andalucia. Um don’t be alarmed at the fact you haven’t gotten a reply yet. A lot of 2nd and 3rd years still haven’t gotten our reply’s yet either. Actually i just got mine Monday for Andalusia. And depending on when you sent everything in, it just depends. Last year i didn’t get placed until June, and my School in July. Entonces…..yes they are cutting more and more cities from the program but don’t worry, you might not get your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice but you will most likely get placed, hang in there. Also keep in mind this is the Spanish government, i can’t begin to tell you the horror stories we’ve eperienced this year. also, yes you can live off the 700 they send you, but its basically just living money. if you want money to travel i recommend bringing a lot. yes there are nanny and private lesson jobs you can get but the demand and how much they pay vary in different places. also have a good few grand saved up cuz last year some people weren’t paid until january!

Posted: 29 May 2012 08:27 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-08
hannalynne - 07 May 2012 12:05 PM

Thank you both for your advice. I am planning on first trying to get hired at an academy, but I’ve read mixed opinions on the job market for North Americans. Some have said that EU citizens are preferred (for paperwork reasons) and it is therefore next to impossible to get a job at an academy unless you are going through some type of program (which I will not be doing.) Others have said that it is completely doable to get hired “under the table” and to work without a work visa. Can either of you attest to this in any way? I’d be curious to hear your thoughts, and thanks again for sharing your experiences with me.

Hey Hanna,
I know this post is kind of old, but I thought I’d reply anyways just in case you’re still looking for info. I hope you received a placement for the auxiliares program! As far as getting hired “under the table” goes, my experience with it has been long and arduous. Since last September I have been looking for a way to move back to Spain and I emailed literally dozens of schools asking for a job under the table, or advice on finding work. Everyone was very kind and helpful, but unable to offer me work. The fact of the matter is, it’s pretty much impossible to legally work in Spain if you aren’t an EU citizen. You can go on a student visa, but you will have to pay to enroll in classes and even then you will have to gain permission to work, which is only valid for 20 hrs a week. I ended up getting a pareja de hecho to obtain residency via my boyfriend, and have recently started to reapply to schools for the coming year.

Best of luck to you!!

Posted: 29 May 2012 09:39 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-05-03

Hi Hpoliq01,

Thank you for your response! Yes, I have heard that it’s next to impossible to find any work at an academy other than working “under the table,” but my understanding is that it’s still possible to support yourself by teaching privately. I am trying to get back to Granada with the understanding that I may very well not get a job with a formal academy and will therefore need to make a living teaching my own classes. I’ve heard that this is typically something intended to be supplementary income, but I’m wondering if you know anything about people doing this as a primary source of income?

As of yet I have not heard back from the Auxiliares program yet. I did get in touch with them and they told me it is not uncommon to hear back during June or July, so I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Thanks again for your time and consideration! I really appreciate it.

hpoliq01 - 29 May 2012 08:27 AM
hannalynne - 07 May 2012 12:05 PM

Hey Hanna,
I know this post is kind of old, but I thought I’d reply anyways just in case you’re still looking for info. I hope you received a placement for the auxiliares program! As far as getting hired “under the table” goes, my experience with it has been long and arduous. Since last September I have been looking for a way to move back to Spain and I emailed literally dozens of schools asking for a job under the table, or advice on finding work. Everyone was very kind and helpful, but unable to offer me work. The fact of the matter is, it’s pretty much impossible to legally work in Spain if you aren’t an EU citizen. You can go on a student visa, but you will have to pay to enroll in classes and even then you will have to gain permission to work, which is only valid for 20 hrs a week. I ended up getting a pareja de hecho to obtain residency via my boyfriend, and have recently started to reapply to schools for the coming year.

Best of luck to you!!

Posted: 29 May 2012 09:42 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-05-03

Hi Mckenzbi,

Thanks for offering me what you know about the Auxiliares program. I’m really surprised to hear about the delayed payment, but I ended up calling them and found out that it isn’t uncommon to get a late response from them. At this point I’m trying to plan as though I won’t get placed and will therefore need to go it alone with my TEFL certification. Do you know anything or have any advice on making a living by teaching privately? In Granada specifically?

Thanks again for your time and consideration. I really appreciate it. 😊

mckenzbi - 10 May 2012 01:30 AM

Hey i’m actually an Auxiliar de conversacion right now in spain, in Murcia, right next to Andalucia. Um don’t be alarmed at the fact you haven’t gotten a reply yet. A lot of 2nd and 3rd years still haven’t gotten our reply’s yet either. Actually i just got mine Monday for Andalusia. And depending on when you sent everything in, it just depends. Last year i didn’t get placed until June, and my School in July. Entonces…..yes they are cutting more and more cities from the program but don’t worry, you might not get your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice but you will most likely get placed, hang in there. Also keep in mind this is the Spanish government, i can’t begin to tell you the horror stories we’ve eperienced this year. also, yes you can live off the 700 they send you, but its basically just living money. if you want money to travel i recommend bringing a lot. yes there are nanny and private lesson jobs you can get but the demand and how much they pay vary in different places. also have a good few grand saved up cuz last year some people weren’t paid until january!