Introduction
Posted: 23 May 2012 03:12 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-23

Hello,

I’m 24 and from Dundee, been looking into moving to Spain for years now but always bottled the idea. With no ties or responsibilities and a job which I pretty much despise, have decided that the time is now.

I’m ideally looking to move to Tenerife first of all and look for bar/pub work, if anyone has any contacts or could guide me in the right direction then I would be very grateful. I’m not looking just to come over and get pissed all the time, I have a desire to learn the language and adapt to Spanish culture as it’s always been something that fascinates me. Tenerife was suggested by a friend who lived there and said it would be the best starting point. I’m also going to be coming over alone so it’s quite daunting but it’s all or nothing now.

My sister will be living in Pamplona through University next year so would also be good to experience life in the north of Spain too. I’m just looking for any help/advice or anyone that can get me in contact with the right people so I can live the life I want to in Spain or the Spanish Isles.

Thanks

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-12-29

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here, but there is a ton of useful information that I am sure will help you. One thing that I am sure you realize, that is discussed a lot, is the high unemployment in Spain right now. How is your Spanish? Unless you are fluent, I believe your chances for work will be quite slim. Do you have any skills or a lot of savings?
Many expats start out teaching English, although it is also competitive.
Do as much research as you can before you come over, so you are not overwhelmed when you are here. It really depends on you as a person. If you love challenges, are independent, resourceful, and posses common sense, you’ll get by, but keep some money set aside for that plane ticket home just in case. Cool that your sis will be in Pamplona, it will be good to have some family around. I have spent most of my time up north, and really love it. If you run out of options, walk the Camino de Santiago, I met a lot of people and even found work that way in ‘10. It was a great experience.
Best of luck, let us know how it goes:>
Laura

Posted: 10 March 2013 02:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-03-09
mightyfrea - 24 May 2012 10:04 PM

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here, but there is a ton of useful information that I am sure will help you. One thing that I am sure you realize, that is discussed a lot, is the high unemployment in Spain right now. How is your Spanish? Unless you are fluent, I believe your chances for work will be quite slim. Do you have any skills or a lot of savings?
Do as much research as you can before you come over, so you are not overwhelmed when you are here. It really depends on you as a person. If you love challenges, are independent, resourceful, and posses common sense, you’ll get by, but keep some money set aside for that plane ticket home just in case. Cool that your sis will be in Pamplona, it will be good to have some family around. I have spent most of my time up north, and really love it. If you run out of options, walk the Camino de Santiago, I met a lot of people and even found work that way in ‘10. It was a great experience.
Laura[/quo

Hi,
At the outset I owe you an apology for addressing this mail to you directly without knowing you and I have fervent hope that you will not mistake me for this liberty.
My name is DEB from India ? a educated person of 51 years old. I am planning to come to Spain from India. I am a totally a new comer in Spain, no friend, or anybody to guide and help me,. i have no job contract. I am in need a shelter place in any location of Spain where I can stay free of cost till I get a job. I am planning to land in Madrid from India. My present financial balance is also not so strong to stay in a Hostel or in a lodge. Managing food is also a hardship. Once I get a job I can arrange my life in Spain. Later (after saving some funds), I have an idea to start a small food business in any corner of Spain. Please give me proper advice and guidance before I go to hell in Spain. My email contact.-  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Thanks.
DEB.

Posted: 18 July 2017 03:29 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-07-18
mightyfrea - 24 May 2012 10:04 PM

Hi there,
Laura

Yeah i recommend walk the camino too. It?s a awesome experience.