Black economy (and other odds and ends)
Posted: 07 June 2012 06:24 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

“The Spanish black economy is equivalent to 19.2% of the official gross domestic product. The number of jobs in Spain?s underground economy had risen from about 1.5 million in the early 1980s to more than 4 million in the three years to 2008, according to a study co-authored by Ignacio Maule?n, economics professor at Madrid?s King Juan Carlos University. ?When there?s no crisis, no one worries about it,? Maule?n told the Financial Times. ?But now it?s an issue that everyone thinks about, because of the country?s budget deficit.?

About Chinese entrepreneurs and workers in Spain.

http://www.suzannema.com/2012/02/28/why-do-the-chinese-work-so-hard-and-other-questions/

Posted: 07 June 2012 08:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-12-04

No one knows the exact figures because this is, by its nature, a hidden economy.
And Maule?n is correct, it is only now that this subject is becoming a thorn in the side of Spanish financial planning.

Two ways of looking at this.

First, if it wasn’t for the black economy in Spain, many Spaniards would be unable to feed their families right now, having run out of Paro or being unable to claim it.

Second, If corruption at a higher level was was denounced and punished diligently, rather than the Government appearing unable to deal adequately with this, then perhaps there would be less sympathy and encouragement for those forced to work in the Black.

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

I have a feeling that the black economy is thriving in nearly every country on the planet, and there has always been a black economy.  I have no criticism of those working in the black in order to have enough money to put food on the table. 
There would be few families, IMO, who did not have some member engaged in making that bit extra.  Just an example: the housewife who is also a seamstress, making dresses and all manner of fashion garments. 

It is not my business to tell others how to run their lives, including the Spanish government.  Who knows what measures they are taking to tackle corrupt practices.  One thing is certain.  They haven’t made me privy to their anti-corruption drive, and why do I get the feeling they definitely will not be reporting on their investigations and dealings, adequate or otherwise,  to the all-knowing expat forums.  LOL

Patricia