Should I give up?
Posted: 26 June 2012 10:32 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-11

I hope I can get some advice from you on th forum.

I have presented all of my documents to claim Spanish citizenship via the historical memory law almost two years ago.  I have heard nothing for the past year, and my emails go unanswered.  I am applying through the Los Angeles consulate.  Has the government of spain ground to a halt, or are my chances of getting recognized gone?  I would appreciate hearing anyone elses experiences, and any insight as to whether my claim should still be active.

Thanks, Dan

Posted: 27 June 2012 12:51 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Dan:

Applications for nationality take quite a long time.  However, the Spanish Consulate is very remiss in not replying to you.  Essentially, you would do better working through a “gestor?a” in Spain (Madrid) itself. 

Your application is no doubt sitting at the bottom of a pile of files somewhere. 

Firstly, write a letter (not an email) to the Spanish Consulate, by registered post with recorded delivery, asking for an immediate reply.  Do quote in the letter the reference number you were given and any other pertinent information.

Ask in the letter where exactly the documents/dossier are now.  Still in Los Angeles or in the appropriate Ministry in Spain? 

If the documents have reached the Ministry in Spain then you could, if you wish, instruct a “gestor” in Spain to follow the matter up for you.

Good luck
P

Posted: 27 June 2012 06:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2011-09-15

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about the hassles - but suggest not to give up.

We recently applied for NIE in Australia & we expecting a long difficult process. We were impressed to have NIE in our hands within 5 weeks & the people we met could not have been more charming & helpful. Ergo there are some highly efficient Spaniards !!!

Cheers,

Andrea

Posted: 06 July 2012 07:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-11

Thanks for the help.  I will post updates as they come.

Dan

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:09 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-11

I am glad to report I have finally completed my file.  I have applied through the Los Angeles consulate, and they were very helpful on my repeat inquiry.  I have met with them by appointment and have been told that all I need to do now is wait.  And wait.  Can anyone with recent experience in LA have an idea how long it takes for the Consul General to review the file and take action?

I have a second request for knowledgeable direction.  My daughter has also applied and is lacking only the birth certification of Spanish citizenship for my mother (her grandmother).  She was born in Arizona, but returned to Spain as a child for several years before coming back to the US during the Civil War.  She had Spanish passports (family passport, actually 2 passports, one used for entry and one for exit several years later) that I have, but I am having trouble finding her birth certification.  When she was born she was in the Los Angeles jurisdiction, and her first passport was issued through San Francisco, as she was living in the SF jurisdiction at that time.  Neither consulate has been able to locate any information (though they do confirm she would have had to have her birth recorded and certified to get the passport), and it has been suggested that i go to the “central ministry” in Spain to find her documents.  Unfortunately I do not know which ministry is the appropriate one, and whether it is in Madrid or in Asturias (her home).

If anybody has an idea where I should look, I would greatly appreciate the help and direction.

Dan

Posted: 10 March 2013 12:24 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-04-23

I assume you’re writing from the states.  I just went through this procedure and once in Spain I received my Spanish Residencia Card wihin 26 days which I understand is almost a record for the Spanish beuracracy.  But I got it only because I had all my shit together when I got here.  You can’t apply for citizenship from the States.  It just can’t be done, regardless of what any website or diplomat may tell you.  It just doesn’t happen that way.  You need to go to the U.S, Consutalte/Spanish Consulate website and look up the qualifications for living in Spain.  Are you coming as a student?  Gonna work?  Retired?  All these categories are different and addresess each issue differently.  I can’t help you any further until I know what category you fall into.  Email me specifically with your details and we’ll go from there.. Don’t lose faith.  It can be done.  I just did it!
Mike

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:19 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30
bacalao - 08 March 2013 10:09 PM

I have a second request for knowledgeable direction.  My daughter has also applied and is lacking only the birth certification of Spanish citizenship for my mother (her grandmother).  She was born in Arizona, but returned to Spain as a child for several years before coming back to the US during the Civil War.  She had Spanish passports (family passport, actually 2 passports, one used for entry and one for exit several years later) that I have, but I am having trouble finding her birth certification.  When she was born she was in the Los Angeles jurisdiction, and her first passport was issued through San Francisco, as she was living in the SF jurisdiction at that time.  Neither consulate has been able to locate any information (though they do confirm she would have had to have her birth recorded and certified to get the passport), and it has been suggested that i go to the “central ministry” in Spain to find her documents.  Unfortunately I do not know which ministry is the appropriate one, and whether it is in Madrid or in Asturias (her home).

If anybody has an idea where I should look, I would greatly appreciate the help and direction.

Dan

Spaniards born abroad are registered first in the country they were born in and then at the spanish consulate so they can be issued spanish passports. now the spanish birth certificates issued at the spanish consulates are then sent to the Registro Central in Madrid.
you can write them in the ff address
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
or call 0034 918 372 295

Posted: 24 July 2014 02:29 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-11

Well, here I am a year and a half later, and no resolution. I have been polite and I have been direct. Each time I enquire I get the same answer, that my file is waiting for review so my name can be written in to “the book,” and, don’t call us we’ll call you.

Any suggestions?  Are there any gestor services available in the US?  I am at a loss as to where to go

Dan

Posted: 07 October 2014 03:18 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-07-13

I can tell you my experience with making my grandmother a Spanish citizen via her parents at the consulate in Miami. We did not apply under the memorial law because it did not apply to our situation. We started her dossier 11 of June 2011. Then the hunt for paperwork from Cuba began. Finally, in December of 2011 after we hunted down the marriage certificate of my great grandparents and my grandmothers officially certified birth certificate in Cuba, we were told that we needed to get a letter from Cuba on whether her parents ever became Cubans. My mother became fed up with the process and gave up. Come 3 of October 2014 and we get in the mail my grandmother’s certified copy of her spanish birth certificate (2 copies - thankfully 2 copies because it seems that it was all done in Cuba and that her certificate will reside there?), and the need to pay 35$ for the passport and to register at the consulate for census purposes.

So hang in there. It can take some time. From the date of request in Miami (11 of July 2011) to the date that the certificate was created in Cuba (22 of July 2014) the process took more than 3 years and with missing paper work.

Posted: 13 October 2014 07:25 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-11

Thank you, AmericanBoy!  That is indeed encouraging.  Since it has only been two years for me, and since the consulate hasn’t yet ignored my emails, I will sit tight.

Dan

Posted: 13 October 2014 07:28 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-11

And congratulations to your GM!

Posted: 27 October 2014 09:56 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-07-13

Thanks, now I suppose I should start my process here in Spain.

Posted: 28 October 2014 10:51 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-11

Well, now 4 years later . . . and I get a letter in the mail today with my spanish birth certificate (!)

I guess it pays to be patient.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement

Dan