US Citizen / Businessman looking for assistance for Spain Residency procedures. Thank You!
Posted: 10 July 2012 12:24 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-06-28

Hello friends,
I am Christopher, a US citizen, 45 years old, and an architect. I am in the process of packing and moving to Spain by the end of 2012. I been in Spain many times, and the last time I was there I stayed for almost a year (illigally of course) study spanish and enjoyed exploring spain, and fell in love with its people and culture. I intent to live in Southern Spain (Andalusia) and buy a existing business or start a business of my own. I know the economy is depressed in Spain at this time, but in my openion, this makes it a best time to buy bargain housing and business as well. I greatly appreciate if any licensesed attorney in Spain or someone who went through the same experiece of obtaining residency help me with my foolowing questions:
1. Did I need to apply for my residency from States or I can do it once I moved to Spain?
2. Do I need to hire an attorney or I can managed to do it myself?
3. How long the process will take?
4. I undrestand applying for residency, I need a bank statement, a clean bill of health from a doctor, a health insurance (can I purchase it when I move to Spain?) and a criminal clearance ( does it needs to be from the State I am currently living or has to be from FBI?) Am I missing anything else?

Much appreciate your assistance,

saludos,
christopher

Posted: 10 July 2012 07:03 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-26

1. Must do it in the USA. Definitely.
2. If you don’t mind filling out a few forms and making a couple stops by your local police station or department of state as needed, you can definitely do it on your own. The Internet has all the details on the forms you’ll need (all available either at your local consulate’s website or through http://www.maec.es and www.mir.es)
3. Getting the required paperwork should take about a month. Once you get it all and apply, you’ll receive a response between 1.5?3 months depending on your consulate. The NYC consulate takes the longest at 2.5?3 months. This won’t be any faster with an attorney.
4. Depending on the type of residency you are seeking, you’ll need slightly different paperwork. If you want permission to start your own business there or to work for a company there, those will be the slowest, as they are the most popular choices. Since that’s what you want to do though, you’d have to look up on http://www.maec.es the exact financial requirements. But generally, all residency requirements include *either* a state’s background check or the FBI check. The state’s should be the fastest and cheapest option, but that can depend on your state. Be sure to get all the details in your doctor’s statement. Specifically, you have to be in good health, not be a drug addict or abuse any substance, legal or illegal. You must not have a contageous disease, and you must not pose a health threat to the Spanish public. You must also be of sound mental health. There may be another couple things required in the letter, but be sure whatever your doctor writes addresses each of those points in some way. Your health insurance *must* be purchased by the time you apply for the residency. It sucks, I know. However, I just showed written evidence (a signed letter) from my US health insurance company stating that they covered me for all emergencies abroad, and that was sufficient. Depending on who reads your application though, that may or may not fly. Please check http://www.maec.es for additional requirements and for the forms you’ll need to fill.

Posted: 11 July 2012 06:42 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-06-28

Hey friend, much appreciated for taking time and providing me with detail info. Did you obtained your residency in USA or in Spain?

I accessed the Spain Consulate web site in Los Angeles (where I live) and obtained all the information needed, and are exactly as you have described. However, I have couple of questions that you may know the answer and greatly appreciate your thoughts on them:
1. I don’t have health insurance, but I will search and purchase a coverage from USA company or Spain., no problem.
2. However, do you know of any agency or contact in USA or in Spain, I can obtain a rental or lease agreement? By the requirment I obtained from the consulate, they need a copy of lease or rental agreement in Spain?

Thanks again for your help my friend.

Christopher