Insurance claim
Posted: 22 July 2012 01:06 PM  
Just Landed
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-08-21

Having just exchanged details after a very minor scrape on our track can anyone tell me what happens next. In theory I scraped the other car , very minor but there we are. I think he will be claimiong , we’re both with Mapfre and I presume they will be in touch. Any info appreciated.

Posted: 24 July 2012 11:23 AM  
Expatriator
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2007-11-01

LOR.. hoping no one got hurt…
Basically - I hope you did not admit liability..l.
That is for your insurance co to decide.
Did the police attend? or did you fill out the ‘Accidentes’ blue form and get other driver to sign…
Likewise, they should also have done this form too.
It is not the law that you have to sign (especially if you do not agree with how they have shown the RTC occuring/who’s fault it was on paper etc)...
But then, the police would be involved to give their version and to liaise between parties.
IF IN DOUBT - ALWAYS PHONE YOUR INSURANCE CO before signing anything!!!

OK - the insruance co’s know - yes, sounds a bit easier if you are both Maprfe… They will sort out who’s insurance is going to pay and lose and who is paying for repairs.
But if your own car needs any work doing on it - DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE THEIR PERMISSION IN WRITING to get the work done.

Often a ‘perito’ - or claims assesor will need to see both vehicles first and agree with any quote you may have obtained.

Good luck and hope it goes smoothly!

Posted: 24 July 2012 11:24 AM  
Expatriator
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2007-11-01

PS - On the odd occasion when I have had a bump (both ways) and damage was under Eu200 I have settled on the spot/soon after - as both parties do not want to lose their no claims!!!!