< 1 2
2 of 2
FEELING THE PINCH IS NO EXCUSE TO COMMIT BENEFIT FRAUD -  CALL THE HOTLINE AND HELP STOP A FRAUDSTER
Posted: 23 August 2012 04:47 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Susanspain:

I have seen their website, on a number of occasions, when seeking information. Seems fair enough to me.  There is extensive information on all manner of circumstances. 

I don’t know any of the solicitors on their list, so can’t make a judgement. 

I suppose the short answer is that a Consulate (any consulate) is not an NGO. 

Here is what they can and cannot do:

“We offer help which is appropriate to the individual circumstances of each case, including:

issuing replacement passports
providing information about transferring funds
providing appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
helping people with mental illness
providing details of local lawyers, interpreters and doctors and funeral directors
doing all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
offering support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
contacting family or friends for you if you want
making special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters.
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in all our consular offices.

What the consulates cannot do for you
get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country?s immigration policy or procedures
give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
make business arrangements on your behalf.”

Posted: 23 August 2012 05:13 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2011-09-15

Certainly not an NGO !

Regardless, its arguable whether these people are as proactive/helpful as they could be re the things they should/could be doing to assist nationals.

Cheers,

Andrea

Posted: 23 August 2012 05:27 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello Andrea!

I am afraid I am becoming a right old cynic…...

Patricia

Posted: 23 August 2012 06:28 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2011-09-15

You are always objective & forthright - which is excellent !!

Best wishes,

Andrea

< 1 2
2 of 2