Electric cut off how to get reconnected
Posted: 24 August 2012 02:47 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-24

Hello

I haven?t lived in Spain for long, the agent who I rent my apartment from doesn?t seem to like me much, she charged me extra deposit and rent to move because I am British, she says British say they stay long term and fly off after summer. So OK fair enough I paid the extra.

I had a knock on the door there were 4 people there one was the agent waving a 14 euro bill at me for electric. I said this is no problem no need to send the mob round, I said here is my spanish bank details please set up direct debits for any future bills.

Then 2 months later there is another knock on the door, no mob this time was 1 guy from the office, they send the only guy in the office that can?t understand a word I say, anyway he gives me a letter, it says please come in to the office and take care of your unpaid bills before we take action.

Over the next 10 days I made 3 attempts to pay these bills but the woman who is dealing with me was always out of the office and I am told to come back, on the 10th day she was there in the office. She gave me 2 more electric bills and a water bill to pay. I paid all 3 and thought that would be the end of it.

About a week or so later I woke up and there was no electric, I thought it had tripped before I found out I had been disconnected. The agent says this is my own fault I should pay my bills on time if I want electric again I have to phone the company and make a new contract.

I called the company many times when I say I am English they say one moment I will put you through to English speaking person I hold for an hour and it goes dead. I have been without electric for 3 days now, I have young children and it?s getting me down not being able to sort this out.

Well thanks for reading
moondancinggem

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:23 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Moondancing,
Sorry to hear you are having issues on your first time in Spain?

Re the Agent - only my opinion here - (sure others will see things differently 😉 
They sound a right bunch of sharks..
First you feel you have been charged extra (do you have a comparison for this, are you being charged a higher rate - which actually, you could make a complaint about!!!)...
Etc….
Then they are not very helpful.

I sort of feel the language issue is creating some of the frustration (perhaps from both sides)... but you have paid them money to look after yours/the landlords interests and they took your money… But I can picture the scenario… (Sorry for anyone who is offended by this remark - but IMO the Sp are not proactive and only do things for their own interests - This a generalization, but I am saying I have experienced this over and over - been here 12yrs so reckon I have notched up a few first hand experiences.)

re the elec situation.. It should have been the Agents responsibility to make sure all previous bills from previous tenant were paid before you moved in (so a clean slate). The bill should then have been put into your name if you are a long term tenant (at that time you should have been asked for your bank account etc - to avoid all the above happening.) (PS When you leave once all bills are paid up to date the supply is cut off and has to be re-connected in new tenants name - so you don’t get their bills).
I think? there is a charge for putting a bill in a new name if it has been disconnected, but maybe this has been sorted?

Re your current situation.. IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A LANDLORD TO CUT OFF YOUR ELEC…
If the bill is in anybody elses name - (i.e not yours) - THEY HAVE TO PAY IT REGARDLESS -

If it is in your name/it is going through a transition - fair enough - but sounds like you need help to sort out what is what.
FYI - AS SOON AS AN OUTSTANDING BILL IS PAID - THEY MUST RE-CONNECT YOU IN 24HRS MAX. This is the law…
Usually it is done the same day…

If there is any possibility at all of you getting a new (Spanish speaking?) friend to assist you on this - then I suggest you get some support on your side.
Also.. in the long term - IMO - Ditch the Agent if you can!!!

(Sadly it sounds like a case of them taking the money and not being there to help you.  What on earth they are doing though coming round all the time sounds a bit suspicious.. Unless they really have nothing better to do/are under pressure from the land lord in this climate?  I have never heard of this before.)

PS - Where are you located? (Just for interest…)
Hope you get it sorted soon.

(Post again if you need help. Consumer rights etc.  Sadly new arrivals are often taken advantage of!)

Posted: 28 August 2012 06:57 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

1 do you have a Contract with you new land lord ?
2 did you get a receipt for what you payed ?
3 are bill belonging two you .... ?  billing period

please fill in the above

1 alwas have Contract and receipt for what you pay in deposit
2 when moving in two a home ,  kitchen the place , doors , walls , bathroom , kitchen and living area . good tip try get the land lord in them aswell
3 photograph any think that not working , are broken ,