Moving from Spain to USA - please help :/
Posted: 10 September 2012 01:10 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-10-11

Hello everyone! I have a HUGE issue on my hands and do not know the first step to take. I have been living in Spain for the last 5 years and recently lost my job which I had for the last 2 years without any type of work visa or residency. With the current situation here, it is impossible for me to find something new. Therefore, I want to move back home but I have accumulated so many things that I dont know what to do. I have a couple large items like my 40” LCD and an expensive bike that I purchased here in addition to my some studio monitor speakers for my DJ setup. I also bought a pug, which I love to death but now realize that it may be a hassle to take him home. I would like to know the possibilites of shipping things home, taking them on the plane, etc. Does anyone have any advice on intl. shipping/relocation from Spain to Los Angeles??? I also dont want to leave my little guy here, it would break my heart :( I am so lost and time is my enemy. Has anyone been in my situation that could give me some advice? PLEASE HELP!!!  thanks in advance!

Signature 

Sagar G. Parikh

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 04 March 2013 06:50 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-03-04

I wish I could help! I’m actually going to be trying to move my cat to Spain with me next year and am curious as to how flight procedures work as well. The best info I’ve found in my quick seach so far is here on the US Dep of state site. Hope that helps a bit!
http://www.state.gov/m/fsi/tc/c10442.htm

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:01 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-03-08
sagargparikh - 10 September 2012 01:10 PM

Does anyone have any advice on intl. shipping/relocation from Spain to Los Angeles???

maybe selling some stuff with a discount in Spain allow you saving some money instead of paying relocation costs?

Posted: 09 March 2013 10:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-12-29

I am going to bite my tongue and resist the “what were you thinking!?” bit, because I imagine, you are stressed enough.

My two cents; in 1 year, you will not miss the TVs or the bicycles. Cut your losses, and sell off this stuff you are worried about. Its not worth the shipping costs.

You took on a pet however, that is dependent on you despite being a “hassle”. Talk to your vet, get him chipped and vaccinated, and check with airlines about their pet policies. If he is really small, he might meet the size requirements to go in a carry-on kennel, otherwise you will need to check him into the cargo hold. There is lots of information online about this….

Good luck.