dongle/pincho internet connection question
Posted: 14 September 2012 12:49 PM  
Just Landed
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-06-10

I purchased a dongle from Moviestar and it came with 500 mb.  I am not sure what that means.  I have to pay 20 euros per month for the 500mb.  I have been using it for a week and here is the data for the accumulated traffic:

total traffic: 1014 MB

received:  851 MB

sent: 165 MB

the billing period ends on the 17th of each month.

I am confused.  if i only have 500 mb per month, it seems like I have surpassed that already.  also
even though i just purchased it a week ago, will I have to pay again on the 17th?  thanx

Posted: 14 September 2012 02:21 PM  
Administrator
Total Posts:  813
Joined  2006-06-15

Is this what you subscribed to?

http://www.movistar.es/particulares/internet/wifi/tarjetas-wifi/ficha/tarjeta-wifi-30-dias

Cant say to be sure but I reckon that your 500Mbs allocation is an amount of two way traffic you are allowed per month before the operating speed is reduced to a snails pace…

Again just guessing because the information on the web page is a little short on detail, that you need to ensure that there is a minimum of 20€ in the operating account each month so that the account can be auto debited every 30 days… Knowing Movistar I wouldnt be at all surprised if the first debit is made on the 17th of this month…

As you will have noticed, it doesn’t take long to rack up the Mbs…

Spoke to wifey who has a similar set-up with Vodafone UK for when she is in England and what I have said above holds true for her arrangement.

Hope this helps

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

http://www.facebook.com/AbandonedDogsGranada

Posted: 14 September 2012 02:30 PM  
Just Landed
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-06-10

thanx,  I read this message from moviestar:

Info: Tarifa Plana Internet 12. Ha alcanzado sus MB a maxima velocidad. Hasta la renovacion, puede seguir navegando sin limites pero a menor velocidad

it looks like my 500 mb lasted 3 days but it is still plenty fast.  I can download a movie clip at 80kb/sec.  are you sure I do not have to pay any more for using it once my 500mb is used up?

Posted: 14 September 2012 02:59 PM  
Administrator
Total Posts:  813
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi.
Looks that way although the plan you mention is primarily aimed at smartphones rather than dongles… I have its predecessor running on my smartphone and it doesn’t cost anymore than the specified rate.

The message you received tends to confirm this; (translated by Google and interpreted by me) it reads…

“You have reached your MB limit for operation at full speed. Until renewal, you can keep browsing without limits but at a slower rate”

The reduced operating speed where we live is ridiculously slow because in our location we dont have 3G cover from Movistar, only GPRS so I tend to use my smartphone via the Wifi connection from my ADSL router.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

http://www.facebook.com/AbandonedDogsGranada