Total Votes: 5
You must be a logged-in member to vote
How Important is SpainExpat to you?
Posted: 22 October 2012 02:24 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Following on from my post of ‘Got a fright’... when the site when down last week, I have been told it was due to those nasty cowards called HACKERS! 
If it meant our site was protected, (as I know this site is currently entirely funded by a kindly sponsor), I personally would be happy to pay a small/nominal annual fee to ensure that it is more difficult for ‘Those kind of people’ to get in.

Just to ask for any feedback: 
Would you also be willing to pay a small fee?
If yes, how much? (roughly) and are there any ‘Extras’ you would like to see on this site.
Blogs have been mentioned. But I am sure there are some more savvy forum users who would like to see some other Extra Features (can you list them please?)

All feedback is important and what makes this a great space IMHO is the integrity of the site. (Security and contributor wise!)

Posted: 24 October 2012 04:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Thanks!

Yes, this is an important topic of conversation. We’d like to consider offering more features and more content for the community, but need to fund those enhancements. Ideas we’ve had for features include:
? free jobs board for members
? free classifieds for members
? blog aggregation so you can get more exposure to more of the top expat blogs around the country
? news aggregation so you can get a tailored news feed about expat issues in Spain (honestly I think the Olive Press does the best job of this out there currently, but I would take a shot at it 😉)
? google ad-free surfing experience
? better forum integration and private messaging with the site
? more new, editorialized content highlighting up and coming expat businesses, opportunities, tips and tricks for living better in Spain

Thoughts?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 25 October 2012 04:22 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

all would help

More, better content about life in Spain-related
  News about Spain and expat life
  More social features
  Classifieds, Jobs and Swops
  Blog aggregator to discover and read expat blogs

content about life in Spain-related , this could tell what happen on ground .......

News about Spain and expat life , i fine that Xpats want know what happen at home .... would not help know what happen outside you door in spain aswell ?

More social features .... good point and would tell story whats happen ...

Blog aggregator to discover and read expat blogs , we have ask members to fill in on there moves two spain , how getting on . but some time members would up wall get paperwork and new life in order ...  still good point

Classifieds, Jobs and Swops jop swops are what ?

this cost time and money ... befor i was able to post here few time a day with the job .... now money is the job ....

my boss add two me today as we look at this , we could the make unoficial web site to Spain Tourism help people come to spain and live like we do , tip on where two go ... inland , help with out ....

manybe a new makeover could help website and forum

Jurdy

Posted: 25 October 2012 04:29 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

I agree, Jur, with most of what you say.  Definitely moire Spain-related content.  Common-sense advice. 

This site will always be better than others we know of…...

Patricia

Posted: 25 October 2012 04:31 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

we can do both xpat and spain related content , yes look and is lot easyer them most ...

Posted: 25 October 2012 01:07 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

IMO (as a fairly regular visitor here over the years 😉 

The HOME section has never really appealed to me, not because of its content, but the layout/typeface. (I know I ‘could’ choose to make it bigger in my browsing window… but I just like to go to a page and get stuck in.)  I know there is some good/relevant stuff in there, but personally I find it very ‘tight’ and difficult to jump to a topic that might help me.

SPANORAMA… I never really liked the look of this page either, although I am sure there are some great ‘real life’ experiences/stories that many readers (new and old alike) would find useful & amusing.

JOBS - I didn’t really think of this site first when job hunting.  Perhaps I should keep an eye on things.

My absolute favourite, and I think has it on the nail (so no changes please!).... is the FORUM… I find the sections well laid out and the sub sections easy to find what I want too.
If there was anyway to link these topics to the Home section - we would be on a winner! 

My thanks again to the site owners for such a great place…..

Posted: 25 October 2012 09:26 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

hopeful a news page back up and running by 2013 been in talk with a company that will be employment and college graduates this is all down two the autonomous of 3 area , it will good news with over 120 jobs 70 part time

Jurdy

Posted: 22 January 2013 05:24 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-02-12

I would really enjoy some lively discussion in regards to what is actually happening to Spain the country. I realize this is an expat site, but there is no serious dialogue here about Spain and the challenges she faces and what it might mean for us expats. Am I the only one here who reads the local papers? Or, do most expats really just live in their comfortable expat bubbles? It seams to me that almost all of what’s in the forum is just the same stuff over and over again. It would be more relevant and useful as a searchable database for FAQs. The whole forum section needs re-thinking. There are huge developments occurring in this country and there is never a peep about it here.

I’m just sayin..

Danny

Posted: 22 January 2013 12:11 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

I would really enjoy some lively discussion in regards to what is actually happening to Spain the country. I realize this is an expat site, but there is no serious dialogue here about Spain and the challenges she faces and what it might mean for us expats. Am I the only one here who reads the local papers? Or, do most expats really just live in their comfortable expat bubbles? It seams to me that almost all of what?s in the forum is just the same stuff over and over again. It would be more relevant and useful as a searchable database for FAQs. The whole forum section needs re-thinking. There are huge developments occurring in this country and there is never a peep about it here.

Danny ^

People have always used this site as a ‘mine of information’ mostly as they are new to the country/its customs, habits and red tape!
I have found it extremely useful in all sorts of situations, including checking out if I am on the right lines regarding legal matters etc.

Does the ‘Financial News section’ of this forum not cover what you are looking for?

Perhaps these sites are more suited to your needs?

http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6305
http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-16555.aspx

NB There are 1001 property websites that also offer very detailed and in-depth discussions on the current financial situation, as of course it is a subject close to an estate agents heart!
😉

Posted: 22 January 2013 02:56 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-02-12

Right! Somehow I knew this was waisted effort.

Posted: 22 January 2013 11:49 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Not true Danny, did you see these threads?
http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/12430/
http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/12595/
http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/12547/
http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/12395/
http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/10435/

But to be frank, a lot of discussion forums are shifting to more socially connected venues like Facebook. We have some good discussions on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/spainexpats if you’d like to join us. The tragic irony is that it’s, well, Facebook, which means limited/no privacy, no ownership of the content, and subjugation to government filters.

Otherwise please feel free to kick it up a notch in here! I’ve been pretty busy in the last year, so my apologies to everyone in the community for not pushing the forum a bit more. I do so love to see all of the members come back every once in a while and help out with the newbies’ questions though!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 23 January 2013 09:23 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello “The Expatriator” (and all).

“The Expatriator” your being busy might mean you bought out “the other place” lol?  Do tell….

I do concur with Danny.  Lots of people do look in here, but not much exchanges otherwise. 

I for one don’t do Facebook et al.  Never have seen the point.

Anyhow let’s hope the year 2013 brings good changes, and better times for all

Patricia (Campana)

Posted: 03 February 2013 07:12 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-02-03

Danny’s right. Spain is facing tough times which will affect expats as well as the natives (can I use this word here?).

I just read that some 90% of the Spanish retirement funds are currently backing up the national debt - HOCKED! What happens if Spain defaults? Millions of people lose their pensions, (not me, though).

My firm belief is the only way out for Spain is to get out of the Euro, back to Peseta and devaluate by at least 40%. Just imagine what a booster that would be for the real estate sales, revival for the building industry and best of all tourism.