Got robbed in BCN - Be careful ok
Posted: 24 November 2012 12:44 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-11-24

Hey guys, I know it is totally not surprising in the slightest that this happened to me, but I cannot stress enough for you people to be careful in barcelona. I got my ?300 jacked from me when walking down the street.
Stupidly I had my bag open so I was kind of asking this to happen but it was still a shock it did. I was just leaving the language school and walking up Carrer Muntaner and it got jacked.

Can’t believe it.

Anyway I was reading about some tips to help provide advice to people visiting the city and the areas to stay away from
http://www.tocachat.com/barcelona/catalonia/spain/4-areas-to-be-incredibly-careful-in-barcelona-for—2528.htm

Sadly it has a really bad reputation for this sort of thing.

Can’t stress enough about the Ramblas

Posted: 14 July 2015 06:38 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-07-14

Well, that’s sad to hear but a great learning experience, too 😉 I think it will happen only once. Me too it happened in Barcelona in the bus terminal. I put a small backpack beside me on the bank and I wasn’t watching it for seconds. Then it was away with camera, money, passport, etc. in it. I lost probably 1,000-1,500 Euro. On the other side of the bank was sitting a person. I assume that he just took it, put it in another bigger bag and then walked out the building so that you couldn’t find him again.

Thereafter it never happened to me again and I’m overly cautious now. Barcelona is just a paradise for pickpockets with so many tourists who will be away after a couple of days or weeks. I think in 99% of all cases won’t find them if they do something at all.

Posted: 16 July 2015 05:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2014-01-19
tomtom87 - 24 November 2012 12:44 AM

Hey guys, I know it is totally not surprising in the slightest that this happened to me, but I cannot stress enough for you people to be careful in barcelona. I got my ?300 jacked from me when walking down the street.
Stupidly I had my bag open so I was kind of asking this to happen but it was still a shock it did. I was just leaving the language school and walking up Carrer Muntaner and it got jacked.

Can’t believe it.

Anyway I was reading about some tips to help provide advice to people visiting the city and the areas to stay away from
http://www.tocachat.com/barcelona/catalonia/spain/4-areas-to-be-incredibly-careful-in-barcelona-for—2528.htm

Sadly it has a really bad reputation for this sort of thing.

Can’t stress enough about the Ramblas

Luckily before I moved here 6 months ago I watched many documentaries, and one of them (scam city) helped me to be more caution.

It has never happened to me (I hope never), but once in Milano metro, someone pretended to bump me and he broke the sunglasses and asked me to pay for the damage, but I dont care and I tried to find a cop.

at ciutadella park & the beaches, beware of the mojito / whatever seller, their MO is to look for your wallet / mobile / camera laying in the ground, so they will pretend to offer you their merchandise, put their bag above your belongings, and when they left they take their bag and your belongings as well. when that happens you almost cant do anything because they have backup from another seller.

and regarding scam city, i saw the same MO at la rambla, where 1 or more guys pretended to ask the tourist if they like Barca or Messi, but the way they ask is annoying and lots of physical contacts. Afterwards, the guy just realize that he lost his wallet.

I heard why in some countries there are lots of pick pockets is because it is considered minor crime. the culprit will only get hours or max 1 day in the cell, while they can earn more than ?3000 a day.

But anyway, I hope i wont stop people to visit barcelona.