Corruption in Spain
Posted: 06 December 2012 04:24 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Spain is amongst the most corrupt countries in the EU (no surprise).

What kind of corruption do you see around you? Is there a corruption that benefits you? What’s the worst corruption you’ve seen?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/survey-greece-italy-spain-and-portugal-seen-as-among-most-corrupt-in-european-union/2012/12/05/1570bea0-3eb2-11e2-8a5c-473797be602c_story.html

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

I can’t say I have - personally - encountered any, and less so any corruption likely to benefit me. 

After many many years here in Spain, I can say I have never handed over an extra penny (coima) to get something done, nor have I ever been asked for a “kick-back”.  Sure, I have on occasion bought a good box of chocolates or gift for a person in an office (public or private) who was more than helpful. 

Has there been corruption in the construction, planning and development sectors?  There certainly has.  It’s an area rather prone to corruption, not just in Spain.  Ireland is an example, during those boom years.

Posted: 23 December 2012 02:10 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

I don’t know that it comes under the heading of ‘direct corruption’ as such, but the fact that there are inept people that take our money - and get away with it even though their professions are ‘regulated’ is IMO scandalous!

Eg - The lawyer who is there to ‘represent your best interests’ and does little/nothing is rubbish and still demands their fee despite costing you a bomb and not getting a successful outcome (maybe they should be paid on a no win no fee!)

The car mechanic (whom you have known for years and always treated you well/you were happy to take your business to him time after time and also recommend him) - suddenly sells you a pup (and an expensive one at that!) and doesn’t seem to give a S**t that you are no longer going to use him again. EVER!

The (car on this occasion) Insurance co whom you have paid to ‘look after you in a crisis’ and when it comes to it - they do everything but! And even when you take the matter to the next highest level (after trying to reason with them), gets patted on the back by the Ombudsman (as in fact it is the Insurance co’s who pay their wages.)

Etc, etc 😉

Guess I have been here too long.

But what can we do?

We either stay and work around it best we can and take each and every bad experience as a ‘lesson’ or, pack up and go home.. where it is just as bad I hear!

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:02 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

I think the last paragraph in this report pretty well sums it up…

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/01/13/inenglish/1358099182_126533.html

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 05 June 2013 09:10 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-05

This is scandalous omg

Posted: 13 May 2016 03:42 PM   [ # 5 ]