how to live in spain in work remotely for a company in a non-EU country OR are there visa for part-time students?
Posted: 12 January 2013 10:25 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-01-12

Hi, I’m trying to figure out
(1) which visa I need to work remotely with my current company here in US while living in Spain or
(2) is it possible to attend school part-time there? It seems like you have to be attending full-time to get a student visa. With work, I won’t have time to attend part-time.

I just want to make it work some way! If neither of the two options are available, do I have to travel back to the states every 90 days?

Posted: 12 January 2013 11:03 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-12-29

Yes, if you don’t get a visa, you will have to leave the Schengen zone (most of Europe) for 3 months, every 3 months, to be allowed back in.

Many American’s have this same conundrum. There is no easy way for non-EU citizens to get a Visa to live in Spain. Getting your employer to obtain one for you may work, otherwise, you’ll have to be a full time student, or pretty wealthy. (Dividends or income over $250,000/year or something like that).

Posted: 14 January 2013 07:03 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-01-12

Thanks for the responses mightyfrea! Are you saying that my employer here in the US can purchase a visa for me to work in Spain? Do you have a link where I can read more on this?

Posted: 16 January 2013 06:23 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-29

Hi Heath,
Sorry, I can’t be more help. I don’t know how people go about getting work visas through their employer, just that some people do. I imagine it depends a lot on the company you work for and if they do business with Spain in any capacity.
Best of luck.

Posted: 01 March 2013 02:43 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-08

as far as i know, and this would probably be valid for almost all major countries and not only spain in general sense :

- you will need a normal work permit to be able to work - the act of working is engaging in activity which brings income - so, it doesnt matter whether you are working remotely for a company outside spain or not, if you are doing an activity that allows you to gather income, you are basically ‘working’ normally. therefore, you would need a work permit, and be obliged to undertake whatever responsibilities anyone working has to. (taxes etc).

- taxes will be a question - if the company you are working for, is paying taxes for you in that remote country (it shouldnt technically) OR, if you are somehow being taxed for your income in that country, then you should be able to show that tax in spain, and reduce or negate the income tax you would need to pay in spain. but for that, the country you are getting taxed at would need to have a treaty with spain to prevent double taxation. most major countries have these with each other.

- even if you show that you are already paying tax, and got exempt from income tax, you would still need to take care of any fees/taxes/dues whatsoever necessary as someone who is earning an income in spain.

A solution would be to register as self-employed, and pay your taxes over this, if you are not being taxed in your country of origin/company origin. then you would pay your taxes in spain, be entitled to unemployment etc over the taxes you pay and so on. this seems to be the best option.

‹‹ Spanish bank account      Many Brits in Aspe ››