Bringing your desktop computer to spain when moving
Posted: 09 February 2013 12:14 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2013-02-08

Hi expats, im new to your forum, how are you doing

i have something specific to ask to you people - have any of you brought your desktop computer into spain when moving ? ie, like carrying it as baggage when flying in or etc ?

The situation is, i will be doing something like this - i dont want to sell my desktop computer case here, since it is quite loaded with expensive computer parts ($1500 ~ worth in total), so it would be irrational to sell it for 2nd hand here and attempt buying it again in spain.

So i was wondering, what would the situation in customs be ? would i be paying customs duty, and how much ? As a sidenote, im coming from a non eu country.

Ill be glad for any pointers. thanks.

Posted: 09 February 2013 12:58 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi…
See this website document…

http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs Docs/spain.pdf

Seems to indicate that your computer would not be liable to import duty, provided it has been in your possession for at least six months prior to your entry. I would suggest that you carry the purchase document when you arrive.

Don’t forget however that the computer and its packaging will be carried as hold baggage if traveling by air and will count as part of your baggage allowance. Since this allowance is likely to be 20Kg you could be into excess baggage charges… there is also the point that once you hand over the package at your departure airport check-in, you have no control over its handling en-route to the aircraft. Airport baggage handlers are not overly cautious in loading and unloading…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 09 February 2013 01:11 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2013-02-08

aha, thank you.

yes there may be overages, since its a whopass 24 kg - haf x case loaded with components.

but overages etc is not too important at that point if i dont pay customs.