Can I apply to become a Spanish citizen
Posted: 25 February 2013 12:46 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-02-25

I am Australian ,married to a British ,lived in Spain since 1998 . We have 3 children who are British .I have Spanish residence ,my residence expires in 2017 . My husband is self-employed and has been living in Spain for over 20 years. I have worked in Spain and at the moment work as a supply teacher / teachers assistant. I would like to know if I can apply for Spanish citizen as have lived in Spain for over 10 years. Thanks .

Posted: 28 February 2013 10:39 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Yes I have been thinking about this as well - what do you see as the benefits?

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 28 February 2013 11:57 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-02-25

Thank you for your response . We r thinking of moving to Uk as one my daughters is finishing High School n will be applying to go to university. My kids are British.  The immigration rules have changed and to have Spouse settlement visa for Uk there are a lot of restrictions . I think i can’t divide my time in both countries . I cannot freely move between Spain n UK . I have been given 27 months spouse visa and then can apply for my indefinite stay. It is not clear the rules of Uk. I have 2 other Children who have a few years to finish their Secondary education. My kids are in private education here ,we don’t want to move together as a family just yet.Till the other 2 children finish their secondary education.Our idea is for me to freely stay in Uk to be near my older daughter from time to time . We as a family spend our summer in UK . My husband is self employed in Spain for the last 10years n earns a comfortable living to provide for us all. He can work from UK ,the nature of his work is emails ,phone conference and frequent trips to Europe n Far East.                                                                                                                                        My query is in order to have Spanish Passport I can travel to Uk with no restrictions n even work there. Not sure if it will be a benefit n solve our issue.I will not have to go through the British spouse settlement visit and from what I have read I will have to apply for my indefinite stay a month before the visa expires. I think i need to live in Uk for that time . We have read the UKBA website but it is confusing and not clear. We r very confused and trying to find a solution. Spain will always be our home as we have a family home and lots of friends. It is so stressful and to even consider splitting my family if I will have to live in UK with out my other 2children . Just brainstorming to find out what is the best option for us as a family and to solve my visa issue.  Advice please . Many thanks.