Register help
Posted: 12 March 2013 02:56 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-03-12

Hi My Wife and I intend to stay in Spain between six and ten months of the year.
I appreciate that either my car plates have to be registered, or buy a Spanish car. The latter would be best.
Because I am not resident and do not want to be at the moment, I have heard that I must register on the padron to be legal. I was also led to believe that after six months in this Country I was breaking the law driving on my EU licence. I was told that I would have to get a Spanish licence from trafico dept at la linea which would cost about 25 euros. But I could keep my uk licence for when in UK. Also I would not have to surrender my EU licence in which I would not, and to get the Spanish licence I would need no medical etc . It would involve filling a form in and paying the money end of
So if I was stopped by Guardia civil I would comply with the law.
Thank you in advance for any comments

Posted: 12 March 2013 05:02 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi, Your IP address indicates that you are in fact already in Spain and from the content of your post I assume somewhere in the La Linea area. Lets take each of your points in turn…

1) I assume that you are English… to fully comply with Spanish Law your Brit reg car must be re-matriculated to carry Spanish registration and this should be done within 3 months of your arrival. It will be necessary to change the headlights to right dipping rather than left. A decent Scrappies can normally provide these. If the vehicle has only one rear fog light it must be on the left hand side of the vehicle. This may mean changing the rear light clusters and a small amount of rewiring. You may well need a Certificate of Conformance from the vehicle manufacturer. In any event the vehicle must be street legal in the country of registration all the time it is on foreign ie., UK plates. UK road Tax and MOT must be current at the time of changeover. once the UK MOT cert expires the vehicle is illegal throughout Europe. A Spanish ITV (MOT) certificate is not valid on a UK reg vehicle so if the MOT renewal date is getting close it must be re-MOT’d in the UK. Probably better also to get Spanish Insurance as your UK Insurance may only provide cover for up to 90 days…

2) Registration on the Padron does not make you legal in Spain. You must, if you are going to stay for more than 183 days, apply for Registration as an EU member resident in Spain… what used to be called Residencia. You will need to provide evidence of Health Insurance and sufficient income. Also if you are in Spain for more than 183 days your tax liabilities become payable to Spain rather than the UK.

3) Concerning your Driving Licence… the information is confusing but it appears that once you have Residencia you should exchange your EU / UK Photocard type licence to a Spanish one. If you have a non photocard licence you cannot exchange it and in order to obtain a Spanish Licence you will have to take a Spanish Driving Test; this can only be done through an approved driving school. The information relating to a medical cert in support of your Driving Licence indicates that you should have one, irrespective of where your licence was issued. Your UK licence will be taken from you when you apply for a Spanish Licence, you cannot have both. The trafficos will issue a Cover note to cover the transition period between the application being made and the issue of the Spanish Licence. You can drive in the UK on your Spanish Licence for a period of up to 183 days after which it must be changed back again. As I said you cannot have both licences simultaneously, it’s one or the other.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Take a look at this website… it lays down guidelines to Brits in Spain and their legal liabilities.

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773