Moving from Canada to Spain this year
Posted: 13 March 2013 09:01 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-03-13

Moving to Spain any helpful advice
I am from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. My husband (Peter) and I are planning to more to Spain in the near future. Peter is from the UK and his parents retired to Spain 33 years ago. We feel that since they are aging, that we should go to be near them. To help out and spend as much time as we can with them. We have our house here in Ottawa up for sale and plan on moving when it sells.
I am now looking at what we need to prepare for our move. We already have a place to live in Spain. When my husbands parents moved there the purchased two homes. I have already have my Canadian papers in order and have had them stamped here in Canada at DFAIT and at the Spanish Embassy. Then the documents were translated from English to Spanish by an approved Spanish lawyer. My husband is an EU citizen, has his passport and he also has been paying voluntary contributions to the UK state pension.
I am looking for information with regards to health insurance, and any other helpful advice from anyone who has gone though the process of moving to Spain, and how you found the experience.

Posted: 07 August 2013 12:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-08-06

Hi Ms. Canuck,

I, too, will be moving to Spain shortly. As I mentioned in another thread earlier, I find it really hard to prepare things like health insurance from home. It’s probably a lot easier to do it after you’ve arrived when you can actually talk to the ensurance companies and find the company that best suits your needs. Or maybe your in-laws could help you out on this one, they must have gone through the process themselves?

Regards,
Ellie