Spanish Citizenship while living overseas
Posted: 01 May 2013 01:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-01

Hello everyone 😊 I am a Non-EU citizen living in Saudi Arabia and married to a Spanish Citizen. I understand that to get the citizenship I need to hold a residency for 1 year then 2 more years after that to get the passport. I also understand that I can live up to 6 months out of Spain without losing said residency.

My dilemma here is that with the Spanish Economy being what it is currently, the prospects of living and finding work in Spain is not great and I do have a good paying Job in KSA. It is however important for me and my family that I get the citizenship. Therefore my question is it possible to:

1.  Get a Spanish residency without giving up the Saudi one?
2.  Does one year of residency mean continuous living in Spain or can I go every couple of months for a week to keep it alive?
3.  Do I still qualify for the citizenship if point 2 is possible?
4.  Any advice on how to proceed without losing my residency and Job in KSA but still qualify for the citizenship?

Thanks,
Sam

Posted: 11 October 2014 07:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2013-02-08

1 - you cannot keep dual citizenship with spanish one. exceptions are for only some south american countries.
2 - residency is valid if you do not stay for too long outside spain every year. i guess this is 6 months, but you should check
3 - you have to have resided in spain for at least 1 consecutive full year without leaving before you can apply for citizenship through spouse.
4 - you can opt to not renounce your earlier citizenship, but it is not legal. you can get away with it as long as you dont ask, dont tell anywhere, and offices will be ok with it as long as it doesnt come into play anywhere. but its still not legal.