Residence after 5 years living here.
Posted: 20 March 2014 06:07 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-03-20

Hi, I’m new to this so I hope I’m doing it right.
I’ve been living in Spain since the end of 2006. I have had various jobs and been on/off contract since then. My last job with a contract was 2 years ago. As soon as I arrived here I got a NIE number and have a social security number. At the time I was told that to apply for a residencia wasn’t necessary and since the law changed in 2012, my SIP has been cancelled and I’m caught up in no mans land. I am a citizen of nowhere!!! I would like to get a driving license but can’t do it because I’m not officially a resident. Without a license, I can’t get a job with a contract. Without a contract, I can’t get a residence. Without the residence, I have no medical insurance.
I have contributed to the system and now it is like I’ve never lived here. I’ve never lived anywhere else for the past 7 and a bit years. I would like to know how I can get a residency on the grounds of being here for over 5 years. How do I prove I have lived here for that amount of time? I have a vida laboral certificate, rental agreements, bank account (non resident) but as I am an European citizen, I don’t get stamps on my passport so can’t prove that way.
I’m stuck in a rut and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Glau