How can my non-eu spouse enter Spain?
Posted: 03 July 2014 03:35 AM  
Tourist
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-07-01

Greetings all,

I have seen similar threads on this site but not one quite like my issue, or recent…

My wife, my daughter and myself are moving to Spain in September. I have a job lined up there, it is the first time I will have worked in Spain. My daughter and myself are British citizens, my wife is Chinese and we are moving from China.

I understand that once we are in the country, obtaining the residence papers for myself and my daughter should not be an issue. My question relates to my Non-EU spouse. She does NOT hold a UK residence or visa.

I have been told that under EU law she should be allowed to travel with me, visa or not as one would be issued at the border providing we carry proof of our relationship. I’m not about to start turning up at borders with no paperwork however.

What visa do we need to get her into the country? Is a Schengen 90-day visa enough? Will that be be ok when then come to process the residency papers. I have heard tell of a family re-unification visa but this seems to be kind of tough to get hold of potentially requiring me to already hold an NIE. Does anyone know details of this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Posted: 06 July 2014 08:34 AM  
Tourist
Joined  2014-07-01

ANy ideas ?

Posted: 09 July 2014 02:40 PM  
Tourist
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-12-24

I asked the same question to my Gestor when we bought our house. My wife is Russian and we intend to move to Spain full time in 2 years.

He said to make sure we had an appostilised copy of our marriage certificate which would then need to be translated into Spanish and notarised.

You then get your residence sorted first then apply for your spouse.

Posted: 09 July 2014 05:02 PM  
Tourist
Joined  2014-07-01

Because my wife is Chinese and our marriage was in China its slightly different for us.

So far my understanding is that the Apostille (China is not part of the Hague convention) does not apply.

We have been advised by the Shanghai Visa officer at the consulate that we can get a version of the Schengen visa that is NOT a tourist visa, that will get her into the country. Minimal paperwork is needed for this merely proof that she is traveling with me (flight tickets) and that she is my wife. Original versions in Chinese or English are ok.

all good news at this point (not having applied for or received the visa)

Once we are in the country we can change this visa to a residence for her as she is the wife of an EU spouse and Spain (unlike UK) follows EU law.. n stuff.