Hello from across the pond
Posted: 07 October 2014 07:58 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-10-07

Greetings from the colonies. I found this forum very interesting as I am considering the possibility of living in Spain and earning a living teaching English.

I am in a rather unique position in that I speak English and Spanish as a native speaker. I have lived in the USA from the age of 8 and though I was born in Colombia I speak and look down right just like an ‘merican; yet I speak Spanish fluently.

I have dreamed of living in Europe all my life and now find myself faced with the opportunity to make that dream come true. My 18 year marriage is coming to an end, sadly, and my kids are all grown and practically on their own, happily. I have saved a few dollars that can hold me over for a few months and a good portion of what’s left of my life seems to have opened up in front of me.

The time looks good now for an adventure.

I have had an extensive career in the information technology field, specifically computer aided drafting and design (CADD) with AUTOCAD as well as computer programing. I have taught architecture, drafting, and design at the high school level by virtue of my professional experience as I have no formal teaching or professional degree. I also have a great love for world history and I have been told I have a talent for teaching. So I would like to explore the idea of living in Spain and making a modest living teaching English, albeit American English, and perhaps even computer drafting if the chance presents itself.

Does this sound like something that is possible? I would like all opinions.

In addition, I have learned that if you are born in a former colony of Spain to a Spanish parent or grandparent (which is my case) you can get Spanish citizenship. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thank you for reading and hope to hear from any one soon.